CairnTalk

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

oscar's mom

Just saw "Elizabeth: The Golden Age ". Queen Mary Stuart of Scotland had a Cairn Terrier in her entourage. He was so cute, and a really good actor :thumbsup:.

almost close to history. mary's son james sent six "earth dogges," probably something pretty close to what cairns still are, to france as a diplomatic gift in 1624:

"Whereas wee have presente occasion to sende into France some of those dogges which here they calle terrieres and in Scotlande they calle earth dogges, wee have thoughte good by these presentes to require yow to employ your beste meanes both by causing Sir George Ereskin to sende into Argyle, and yee your selfe sending not onlie thether bot also to Glenurquhay and all your other frendes, whereby yee may gette for our use foure or five couple of these dogges and sende them to us with all expedition possible. And that yee have a speciall care that the oldest of them be not passing three yeares of age; and that yee sende them not all in one shippe, but some in one and other some in another, leaste one shippe shoulde miscarie..."

that's the way my dogs always travel.

the question is: what became of the french branch of the family?

If I remember my history, Mary's little dog was with her at her execution and came out from under her skirts after she was beheaded...though I think they always referred to it as a "skye terrier," which I assume probably was a cairn.

that's right! great memory. i remember that, now that you remember it. it certainly sounds like a cairn. probably cursed out the axe man but good.

Archived