CairnTalk

Doggie Kisses?

Hagar

The topic on Cairns sleeping in our beds sort of stirred the pot and got a lot of good replies.

How do the members feel about "doggie kisses" or face licking?

When Renny and I return from our late walk at about 10:15 PM, my usual routine is to take the leash off when we get back in the house and turn him loose. Then I turn on the bathroom light and go into the bedroom and also turn on a light. At that point, I usually lay back on the bed and Renny jumps up and gves my face a thorough licking. I have to admit that especially in cold or wet weather, it really feels good! Since my next stop is the bathtub for a bath anyway, I let him go for it.

When my daughter visits, she finds his licking to be "gross", and pushes him away when he tries, and after that he pretty much leaves her alone. It really bugs her when I tell her "Hey, he hardly ever licks his butt".

So, do you let your Cairn do doggie kisses, or is it a no no in your house?

my dog isn't a licker, so my answer isn't completely honest or informed. some of my previous dogs were social or casual lickers, and i never found it very gross. on the other hand, obsessive licking sounds problematic, and when i see some dogs doing it i see it as aggressive (depends on whether it accompanied by standing on, pushing, etc). on the whole, doggie fur is a lot cleaner than doggie mouth. sleeping on the bed seems unobjectionable, and a lick now and then is cute, but getting covered with kisses doesn't sound completely pleasant. on the other hand, getting kissed on by a small dog is a lot different (and probably nicer) than by a big slobbery mastiff.

Our pets are our family, so of course there are kisses.

We get Cairn kisses

We get Poodle kisses

(WARNING! The next kisses could cause a very bad reaction)

On occasions we get snake kisses

Nothing but love baby! :wub:

I love the Cairn kisses! Only problem is that Sadie takes it to a whole new level. SHE KISSES EVERYTHING and it is not cute, it is an obsession so I tell her no alot but Scooter gives the occasional face love and its good, he gets it over with quick.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I LOVE it when my two give me kisses on my feet when they want something - but they don't really kiss faces a lot - Brystal enjoys jumping on my husband until he gives in and lays flat on the floor so she can lick the insides of his ears until the end of time! She even moves his head when she's ready for the other ear - it's bonding time that the two of them have that I will NEVER understand. I could never handle licks in my ear - that would drive me crazy!

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Crunch is champion of face lickers, ear lickers, toe lickers, etc. Gus would only lick you if he thought you had some food smeared on you. AND do we mind the licking? No way. To me, it would be like saying that you didn't enjoy the slobbery kisses of your own toddler. There are probably a lot nastier things in the world to come into contact with, for instance, public restroom faucet handles and door latches, money, restaurant buffet utencils.....okay, I have to stop myself.

Will is a 'kisser' too.... I sure don't mind his kisses and it seems to be a bonding thing. He is not obsessive about it at all but when I left for a week last month - upon my return he licked on me for about 2 hours. I was thinking possibly to get his scent all over me again - but I don't really know the reasoning.

Sleeps with me and kisses - some of my friends think I'm nutty!

Our 1.5yr old Sophie isn't a kisser, but our 4yr old male Bailey, is a champion kisser! I think his kissing habit evolved when we were always telling him "No Bite!", and he would substitute licking for biting. If I'm on the floor with him he bestows countless kisses on my face, arms, and especially my bald head! I don't mind in the least since it's much better than the nipping that he used to do when he was excited. He doesn't forget my DW either, he loves to get on the sofa with her and give her a nice face wash. Objectionable?? Not on your life, I love those kisses and I hope some time soon Sophie gets in on the action. After all, my bald head is big enough for both of them! :kiss:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Try a dab of peanut butter behind the ear and on pulse points. Stand by for Cairn kisses :P

I'm at Montgomery at the moment and missing our four terribly. Thank heavens kindly Cairn-folk are loaning their pups to travelers for much needed Cairn kisses. :wub:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Any type of lovin I can get from my Cairns is a big plus.....Sure beats nipping, bitting, being peed on....get my drift?

I love those little kisses although I am buying alot more lipsticks lately. :lol:

we dont mind as long as there not kissing us on the mouth though scotty has gotten me a few times when I wasnt paying attention ...hes the kissing king...well both my dogs are big kissers

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

I love Cairn kisses and YES Mastiff kisses too! I get the best of both worlds in my house and I wouldnt trade it for the world!! And YEs...You have to take a shower when dozer is done slobberin! But nowhere near my face with him. It would be like getting slimed!

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

we dont mind as long as there not kissing us on the mouth though scotty has gotten me a few times when I wasnt paying attention

Yes, with Crunch you have to hold your mouth away because he goes straight for the mouth. If you smiled, he would gladly clean your teeth for you.

I get a big Skipper kiss on demand, all I have to do is ask, usually on the nose and around the eyes, Skipper may find it objectionable though if I have a cold :P

I get kisses here, and I love it! Susie will give one or two very gently, but Roxy gets carried away and will lick everywhere. She has managed to kiss me right in the mouth on a couple of occaisions when I have laughed as she is licking. I have to remember to keep my mouth shut. :P

ctdogs.jpg

WOW! I thought the topic would generate some responses, and it has. It appears that the "kissers" far outnumber the "Ewww, that's gross" folks.

Thanks for the responses.

Kramer is a kisser! Boy he loves the face, ears, nose. The boy truly is lovable and we love it!

Now for the one with the Mastiff! I love the breed. Our son has such bad allergies or we would have one too. I would love the slobbery kisses too.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

"Give me a kiss" is one of Saidi's learned tricks. However, she only does it when she wants too. So independent! If she's not in the mood the head turns and the nose goes up in the air and you can see on her face she's saying "no, I don't want too". When she does kiss it's always an the side of your nose and will not kiss on the cheek. However, she does sometimes try to sneak one on the mouth.

Kirby is a huge kisser, but I have to admit that I don't like when dogs that do not belong to me try to kiss me-I know where my dog's mouth has been, but I don't know where the other dog's mouth has been. My in-laws Jack Russell is notorious for trying to kiss-and he has the worst breath!

I'll bet Kirby's mouth has been in pretty much the same place as most other dogs' mouths. :sick: I agree that I only want kisses from my own dogs, but I try not to think about what I sometimes see them doing before they get lovey with me. :wub:

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Packy isn't a big kisser, but I get a few nose kisses once in a while. I don't think I'd like a full face bath though. I know he licks DH's feet...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

sheila and Misty

Misty loves to kiss and she too will go straight for the mouth-she kisses me not my husband-she knows he hates it. occasionally she sneaks one in on him. she gives puppy hugs too SHe comes toyou and pushes her head against your body and stays there for a minute. my last one did it too. at least cair kisses arent all slobbery. I just dont let her kiss me when she first comes in from outside because-well you all know why its not a good idea. tee hee

Jazzy is our big licker-head. While DH is in the hot tub (every night), she sites on the side and just licks him constantly on his slightly extending forehead. I tell him it is like holistic Rogaine. She also is the nose biter. Just little tiny nibbles on the nose. Diggy goes straight for the mouth. He's all frenchy! Not my favorite!

It is the morning and evening ritual with each of us as we arrise from bed, or arrive from work. We give them as much affection as well.

Archived