CairnTalk

Is our dog too big....

Odin5303

Everything I read about the size of a Cairn Terrier says a fully grown male generally weighs around 14 to 16 pounds. Our nearly 3 year old male is about 20 pounds. Stands about 10 -12 inches at his haunches - estimated. Pure bred. He's NOT fat, according to the vet. Eats about a cup of dry food per day. No more than 2 or 3 "ccokies" (bisquits). No table food. ANd he gets an occasional doggie cream treat.

Does anyone think he's bigger than he should be? Did we get "taken" by the breeder? Wouldn't trade him for anything else. Just curious.

My ellie is 2-1/2 and weighs around 24 pounds....some are just bigger than others. She's all muscle too.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

I see lots of post asking "Is my dog too small?", and others like yours asking if your dog is too big. I'm sure that like any other breed, there are lots of Cairns on both sides of the breed standard. If you haven't seen anything else to cause you concern, I think you should assume that your breeder was honest with you. The only time Bandit's weight would be a problem is if you were showing him. If your vet feels he is in good health and not too heavy, don't worry, it sounds like you could lower his weight with an adjustment to his diet and increased exercise. Don't worry - be happy!! :D

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Scooter is 20lbs. and the vet says he is perfect. Sadie is about 13 lbs. and she is kind of small. I prefer them a little bigger, more to cuddle with.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

yes, your dog sounds perfect. my dog is the same size as yours, a little bigger, and he's really really perfect.

Keegan my boy is 16lbs 6 oz Kai-lee my girl is 17 3 Keegan came from a reputable breeder, Kai-lee is pure bred but not "reputable"

I thought Nigel weighed too much at 20lbs until he was stripped and saw that he's the right size for him. His breeder's dogs vary in size but are gorgeous, well cared for and loved on from the time their momma lets them be. Aislinn, on the other hand, is from a pet store (we're not her original parents) and is supposedly pure bred. But at a tiny 7.5 lbs, we kinda doubt it.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

Will is steady at 21-22 lbs. He is not fat - maybe a couple lbs too heavy but he is built real thick and muscular so it's hard to say for sure. The vet said he is just fine so I gave up worrying. He eats 2/3 cups of food per day and typically 1-2 treats, one of them being a baby carrot. He gets a fair amount of exerise as well. Sounds like many of us just have bigger Cairns.

He is perfect to me! :)

Archived