CairnTalk

How many of you let your dog sleep on the bed with you?

montdoug

I dont let them sleep in the bed all the time...but most of the time they both do Angel likes to lay her head on the pillow like a person its so funny

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

WOOF! Eli, here.

I sleep in the Alpha B's bedroom. I have a dog bed AND my very own chair! I usually sleep in the chair. She keeps trying to cover it with a blanky and I keep removing the blanky. You'd think she's get the hint. I sleep with her on rare occaasions, like if she sleeps late on weekends.

That is all!

WOOF!

Eli B)

Scully sleeps on her own bed next to us. However, on weekends when my husband works Saturdays and I stay in bed, she comes up and sleeps curled up next to me. Sometimes we let her up if there's a storm but she kind of pushes me over towards my husband and then curls up next me so now I'm the middle of a sandwich and can't move.

Nigel and Aislinn sleep with us during the school year since they're in crates all day. This way we get to "spend time" with them. But during the summer, they generally sleep in their crates. Aislinn couldn't care less one way or the other; Nigel prefers the vastness of the bed. Nigel will "hrrrmmph" for a drink or to go pee or when he's been moved from a preferred position. Aislinn curls up in one spot against DH and stays there until he gets up. My sheets and comforter are washable, so in bed they will stay.

"Lord help me be the person my cairn terriers believe I am."

Brody and Mia sleep with when they want to. They let their wishes be known by either getting in their own bed, going under the bed (their little den), or standing beside the bed (this means they want up). Sometimes Mia sleeps in their shared crate (they are in there during the day).

Easy answer...WE sleep with Trotter.

He usually sleeps at my feet, curled up next to me or on my pillow. Very rarley will he sleep on HIS bed in the bedroom, if he does around 4am (like clockwork) he will scratch at my side and ask to get up. He'll usually go in between us to sleep under the covers then. But once I get up to go get in the shower he immediately crawls into my spot, head on pillow and all.

We call Trotter Mr. Grumpy pants, if he is sleeping ANYWHERE and we move close to him he growls. It starts out as a warning growl, then moves to the "are you kidding me" growl, then onto the "you're makin me mad" (this includes the dirty looks) then finally it's ATTACK, scary teeth but tons of kisses. It's hilarious and we tease him all the time. I figure we get to have a little fun with all they put us through. :twisted:

We are a five person family. Myself, my spouse, Zen the doggie and Miss Daisy the kitty. We eat our meals at the same time (Different food) and dining areas, excersise togeather (except Daisy)

Who is the fifth person?

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Tabitha used to sleep in the bed with us until her accident. (tore both rear ACL's jumping off the bed)

We now have a very strict no dogs on the bed policy. (they don't even try anymore)

Now both girls sleep together in one giant crate beside the bed. Most of the time they are both already in their crate before I crawl into bed. They know when we go to the bedroom it's night night time.

Digger and Jazz sleep in their own beds in the laundry room, with a baby gate keeping them in. They seem to love it, and seem to get the best rest. However, on the weekends, if we're trying to sleep in, they come to bed with us from "normal time to get up", and "weekend time to get up". For instance, my DH didn't have to work today, so when I left this morning, he was rounding them back up to head back to bed.

Bandit slept in his crate until he was about 2. The crate was in the kitchen downstairs. We sleep upstairs. He's transitioned into any of the several seating accommodations in the family room now. In fact, he now senses why we are leaving and heads there without being told. He did the same thing when we still used the crate. He could sleep in our bedroom (or our youngest) but doesn't. I think the Mrs. snores too much. :lol:

Well this is timely for this posting..

Last night our little devious ones decided to have issues over a smuggled in chewie item at about 2:30am. I slept though the growling and barking.... but when Brattwurst bounced on my head and started licking me.... I tried hard to ignore him..... Bratt moved on to Steve and well that was it.

I took them out, gathered the smuggled item and put them in the kitchen so they could sleep in the crate!

Because I was out of it, my husband said that Mett would not share the smuggled chewie item and Bratt had a fit! So much so he wanted to wake us up to tell us about it!

I love my !@#$%^& dogs..... I love my @#$%^&* Dogs... I really Do

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

We used to be a "no dog in bedroom family"...BUT in June, my husband moved cross country ahead of me and the dog, and I was lonely so I started to let him sleep in the bed for that month, and well, now he's allowed! He has previously had a peeing on furniture issue (knew not to go on the floor, so clearly hopping up on the bed.couch.whatever) was the solution to his dillema, which was a HUGE problem!!! He's not allowed near the pillows or under the covers, and he chooses to sleep elsewhere about 40% of the time. He's SUPPOSED to stay at our feet but manages to wiggle his way halfway up the bed by morning almost every day. We've also found that he sleeps better in his crate or on the couch - the next evening after he's slept out in the living room he is always more hyper than after he's spent the night with us.

Jodi-Kirby got on our bed in pretty much the same fashion. She sleeps there all the time now. She'll start out between someone's feet, then migrates up the bed until she's between my husband and I-about chest level. And part of her always has to be touching someone. If we shift, she shifts until she can feel us again.

Rewind the video, back 4 or so years ago. I was looking to buy my first home (a townhouse). Already had set my mind to putting hardwoods on the lower level because I knew I would finally get my first dog, too. Many people said, "You're going to want hardwoods throughout, right?" I said, "No--because the dog will stay downstairs; not on the carpeting; not in my bed." They all nodded their heads, knowingly.

Fast-forward: Izzie sleeps on the bed most nights, in the metal open-air crate at the foot of the bed a few nights when we both need a really good night's sleep. When I first got her, I'd sleep at the foot of the bed (Peering into the crate: "Is she breathing OK? Is she breathing OK?"--paranoid first-time mom, you got it!). Now I'm used to sleeping at the foot of the bed, and Izzie gets the pillow at the head of the bed.

If she gets up too early, and my feet are in just the "right" place--for her--I get woken up with a toe licking. She's not an in-your-face cuddler--she just likes being nearby and knowing I'm there. (Me, too.)

She's just as comfy in her crate, but I just love watching her sleep close-up and watching her nose twitch and her paws suddenly start moving (she even chases rabbits in her sleep, I guess).

Some people just don't get this kind of life!

I'm so excited to know "I AM NOT ALONE"!!!

The little Guster is indeed a full on snuggler and while I'm totally ok with anyones decision I personally love sleeping with my arm around him and his head on my shoulder. When he finally gets completely comfy and ready to sleep he lets out a little sigh and you can feel him totally relax as he drifts off.

The one thing mentioned that would change my mind is if I lived somewhere there were fleas. To my knowledge there are no in Montana, at least I've never seen or heard of one. Fleas would bring on a complete review of the sleeping arrangements.

Mrskti those pics are too much!

After years and years as a dog owner Gus is my very first small dog, WHAT WAS I THINKING???

He has us absolutely wrapped around his little paw.

Driving down the road in my pickup truck Gus crawls up on the seat back behind my head and I lean on him like a furry headrest, he lays his head on my shoulder and goes to sleep. I just adore this little guy!!!

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Harvey sleeps with me in bed every night i dont see a problem with it only thing is he was sick the other night so you can imagine the mess i was in tried to catch it in newspaper but it slides off :sick:

We sleep with 2 dogs between us. Darcy always gets to sleep closer to our chests and Bailey near our feet. On occation, Bailey will choose to sleep in teh club chair next to the bed - he's an indepedent sort of guy.

I couldn't imagine not sleeping with the pups. It's nice to have a little additional warmth near your feet on a cold night!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Ellie use to throw up a lot, eatting junk from the yard i guess...anyway, i got really good when i heard the "hulp" noise that I'd flip her (or dori) around the edge of the bed and have them hanging over the waste basket in time.

fuzzy headrest...lol

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
sheila and Misty

Mistys been in our bed since she was weened from the kitchen,

She INSISTS on sleeping under the covers head on pillow between me and larry. if one of us gets up she moves immediately in our place ..you have to manually pick her up and move her to another spot if you choose to get back in bed, yep guess IM more than guilty of that! But for me,,,I love it -my last cairn was soooooo not a snuggler-he prefered everyone to leave him alone and he slept under our bed and actually growled when we moved. talk about two different personalities snugglebunny ahhh and groucho grrrrr!

My two sleep and ENJOY in their crate. It is the biggest wire crate made and we have a divider between the two.

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

Yep, Toby's in bed with me. If it's warm night, he'll lay closer to the foot of the bed so he can hog the breeze from the fan. As it gets cooler, he moves more towards me, sleeping behind the knees.

Archived