CairnTalk

General inquiry as to availability of this breed

cairncurious

Hello Folks,

I'm brand new to this forum. I'm brand new to Cairn's as well. I've lived with Collies all my life (I'm 60) and now my wife (just retired) and I want to downsize and we find the Cairn to be a most interesting option. I don't know enough about them to run out and buy one but I want to l learn. I do need to ask this question though. Is it fair to say that the availability of a Cairn puppy from a respected breeder verses the demand for them probably means a significant wait or search is most likely? Or is that impression incorrect? I should also add that we've never bought a dog from a source that involved a sight unseen purchase and delivery. We have always met with the breeder in our region and made our selection there. So I'm leary of buying from a far distant source. Any comments will be useful and thank you all for your assistance.

Cairncurious

hello and welcome!

i personally dont have the knowledge to answer your questions. i was prepared to get casey from a breeder because i was set on a cairn but one afternoon i just decided to browse a local puppy store and there she was.

most people can reassure you that what you've read about them is true. they are strong-willed, spunky and smart. casey is a real treasure to our household, shes great with the kids and has alot of personality.

i understand your concern about buying sight unseen but it seems to be very common these days.

good luck in your quest!

It all depends on where you are and what the breeders in your area have at the time.

Most breeders are equally leery of shipping dogs to new owners sight-unseen unless they have friends who know the new owners-to-be and live in their area.

Check the breeder referral lists on the ctca site, and/or the corresponding lists for the regional cairn club in your area. Call and talk to several breeders.

You can't know what the wait times are like until you ask the people who keep the lists...

Note that some breeders will have very different waiting times for someone willing to show a dog to their championship vs someone looking for "just a pet".

You also won't get any specific breeder recommendations here, because they are against the forum rules, you'll only get general rules like "don't support puppy mills by buying from stores"....

Hi Cairncurious,

I would never buy a dog unless it was from a reputable breeder. To me that means someone that is a member of the CTCA (sponsors this forum) and someone who also shows dogs. The reason I think the dog show bit is important is that it means the breeder is prepared to have dogs they've bred held up to the scrutiny of some very tough critics. It also means that a dog from that breeder will look like a Cairn is supposed to look and be sound in body and mind. I know there are some people who breed, who do love Cairns and who do not show their dogs - but they would just not be the right breeder for me.

I would try the breeder search on this site (which guarantees you that the breeder is a member of the CTCA). Is it hard to find them? You may get lucky or you may have to wait months.

You might want to consider what I did recently when I added a second dog. I wanted a young dog, but not a young puppy. So I called around breeders and asked if they had a dog that was anywhere around 6 months to two years old. Most breeders will have a puppy or two that they hold back and they just don't turn out as hoped in terms of show quality - and those dogs can be more difficult to place in a new home. Or, they may have a young dog that is absolutely stunning, but hates the whole dog show business. If you are not set on a very young puppy you might find it a bit easier to add a Cairn to your life sooner.

HI! I am a new Cairn owner going on 4 months now. I love this breed. I always wanted a Cairn since I was small (yes i am an oz fan) But life had me in different directions I am now proud to say I have my my sweety! She was a gift from my mother and was purchased from a reputable breeder. But I had my heart set on a Cairn from a rescue. But she did what she thought was right for me.

Try checking out a Cairn rescue once you decide this is the breed for you. There are so many beautiful babies out there. Most of the rescues websites I have been to even have extensive descriptions of each pup. My next one will be from a rescue. One I seen today even has babies!! Good luck and if you decide a Cairn you wont be disappointed.

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

I do not think they are hard to find. Reputable breeders are hard to find though. If you don't mind me asking what area are you in?

I stay away from pet stores for obvious reasons of supporting puppy mills and risk of the puppy you are getting. It is nice to see the parents and even see where they were born. Its nice to know they are being raised by people and not just 1 of many hundred of puppies.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

We have two cairns: one from a good breeder, who also shows cairns, and one from a rescue group. Each dog is a wonderful fit to our family, though they are very different dogs. Neither was an "off the cuff" situation, and we looked about for quite a while before we adopted either. I think to find a puppy or dog that fits your family and lifestyle, it's important to try for a "match" in terms of temperament and personality. That takes some research, and it takes either meeting the dog or talkng extensively to a cairn-informed person who knows the dog.

It wiould be very easy to get a puppy mill dog, but you would probably be buying a lot of later problems (to say nothing of the ethics of supporting someone who would treat dogs as the mills do!). It might take a month or two or even three to find a dog, but the next 15 years will be worth the research.

Welcome, Cairncurious, it's always good to hear from someone who is looking for a Cairn. They are wonderful animals and a joy to have in your family. One avenue you might consider is the Colonel Potter Cairn Rescue Network (www.cairnrescue.com). This is a wonderful rescue group the fosters and finds appropriate home for rescued Cairns, both pure-bred and mixed breed. The nice thing about adoption, other than providing a good home for a needy dog, is that because the animal has been in foster care you can learn of any possible health or behavior problems before you bring the dog home, and many are already potty trained and well socialized. They also require references and histories from the potential adopters to insure that the dog is going to a good home. There are adoption fees, but they are not unreasonable. Good luck in your search, and don't be discouraged if it does take some time, these dogs are worth it!

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Hello again, and thank you to all those who chose to respond. To Jessica H .....I live in Connecticut. The pursuit of a suitable Cairn will not be a rushed project for us. We are patient folks and just recently lost our beloved friend of fourteen years. We need some time to reflect and adjust to him being gone. But rest assured we only buy from a breeder that we meet in person and feel comfortable with. If we chose to acquire a Cairn it will be a careful process and we are prepared to devote 2008 to the selection and followup purchase. I'm trying to read as much as can be found on the breed for now. Also trying to separate the truth from the exageration and develope a better understanding of what Cairn ownership can entail. In due time I will take this new knowledge with me on a visit to a breeder for some live interaction with this most fascinating little dog. If we still feel the excitement we current have for a Cairn then the wheels of purchase will be set in motion.

Cairncurious

To Jessica H .....I live in Connecticut.

Depends on how far you would like to travel and which part of CT but I live in NH and my breeder is WONDERFUL!!!!!

[breeder referral redacted]

She is wonderful, nice and very helpful! She has beautiful dogs and a beautiful kennel.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Reminder - any and all breeder referrals should be made off-line, by PM or email. Thanks!

I am really sorry, forgot that. I apologize.

DSCN2419-1.jpg

I just discovered you can download individual episodes from Animal Planet's Breed All About It show, and the one about Cairn Terriers is filled with a wealth of information. Just go to the discovery channel store on-line (http://shopping.discovery.com/product-64723.html) and you can download the episode for $1.99. The characteristics of Cairns, temperament, and care and grooming are covered. I love how the breeder featured talks about how she observes potential new owners to see if they have the "temperament" for this breed as well. Bottom line, a reputable breeder is not going to ship a puppy to sight unseen new owners. Talk to breeders listed on the CTCA home page and visit. Make sure you see where the puppies are raised and get to meet both parents. You sound like you have the patience for the breed and to make good choices about breeders. And, of course, never buy a puppy from a pet store, as it keeps puppy mills in business. I wish I had asked for this advice a few years ago...

We live in Arizona, and truly lucked out finding our breeder(s). Digger was our first, and we found his breeder here at CTCA. Then when we decided to add a buddy for Digs, we knew we didn't necessarily want a 8 week old puppy. So, we contacted our breeder again. Though he didn't have a dog meeting our needs, he referred us to a breeder, who just happened to have a one year old little girl that they were showing as a puppy, but when not all of her adult teeth came in properly, her show days were over. So now Jazz is part of our family. It couldn't have worked out better.

Archived