CairnTalk

Gus and Merlin update.

montdoug

Hi guys. I haven't been around home much so I haven't kept up with all, hope all is well with all of you and your furry little buddies as well.

As some of you might remember my little Guster had developed an unusually close relationship with one of our 5 cats, Merlin. The wife and I had worried that as Gus grew older the Terrier in him might rise to the surface and things get ugly. Today I fed everyone in their respective places, great fun. I yell "kitty-kitty" and they all head to a different spot in the house and sit staring at me till their bowl shows up. For some reason Merlin has not only decided that Gus is his soul-mate but he's decided he likes Gus's chow better than his own.

Long story short I sat all the bowls in their proper spots and when I came beck into the kitchen I find this, (so much for things getting ugly).

Breakfasttime002.jpg

To put this into perspective Gus was playing the other day with the neighbors Standard Poodle which is about 3 times larger than Gus. Without thinking my wive brought out some dog treats and gave some to both dogs. When the much bigger Sampson woofed his down and came over to Gus, Gus lit into him like a Tasmanian Devil, Sampson jumped our 4 foot fence and headed for home in spite of his owner trying to coax him back for all he was worth. Gus protects his food even if all he does is take it and hide it somewhere. Merlin I guess has been granted special dispensation. Unbelievable but it sure gives ya the warm fuzzies :hug: .

P.S.

They still sleep together.

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Thats funny stuff. Our cairn, Dex has a cat friend too. Tux the cat lives over at the in-laws and when we go over there once or twice a week its a non stop wrestling match. They go until they are totally exhausted then they will lay around together. Tux has been known to go hang out with Dex in his crate when they get tired...

Our boy had quite the attachment to our cat also. When the cat passed a few months back we thought we might have a problem. He looked for her for a couple of days, but through attention and patience he has now accepted the kitty is gone. It was sad, but really nice to see how they got along so well. The cat even groomed him, he in return would help her with the leftover kitty food on her face.

Merlin is sure a unique color, and Gus is quite the looker too! Great pics, and KUDDOS to the friendship.

That is so cute, Merlin is beautiful. Tortoise shell right? My animals get along but Sadie thinks that the cats should be licked at all times and it doesn't go over well with the kitties.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Actually Merlin is an "American Shorthair cat", his color is "classic silver tabby" to use the cat breeders terminology. The only drawback to their relationship is that about half the time if you go to pet Merlin your hand gets sloppy wet with Gus slobber (sorry for the crude description). I guess the way I see it is if Merlin doesn't mind who am I to complain?

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Sure gave me the fuzzies. Merlin is so handsome. I think the relationship is so sweet. Buddies forever!

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Archived