CairnTalk

Sigh! Another Open NQ

PeppersMom

I had to try teaching a Cairn how to retrieve! Pepper NQ'd for the 4th time going for his CDX. He did actually do both retrieves quite nicely and actually NQ'd on the last exercise, the broad jump. He did not come close enough on the front. These Cairns get so distracted though on heeling...oh well there is always next time!

I can feel your pain! I won't even say how many times Spike NQ'd open. Spring on the other hand could Q one day and the next day walk into the ring and act like she had never heard of any of the exercises "what down?, what dumbell? what broad jump?"

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Frustrating to NQ....but with a Cairn it is always fun. And when you do qualify.....well it be that much sweeter....

The trainers that I work with (going for CD & RN) are sheltie and glolden people....but boy do they have fun when we take the ring. They find us amusing and are always amazed at how intuitive my Cairn is. Right now...she has figured out the that the judge tells me when to do the recall....and she will leave at the judges direction instead of mine. This is tough...she recalls great in the ring and I do not want to discourage this behavior...but I must figure out how I am going to be smarter than my dog :P

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Don't give up on that Open title yet! Mac and I are going for Open A attempt #16 or #17 this Saturday. I'm losing track of how many. He's Q'd only once this past March in all these tries. He usually comes close. Most nq's were due to walking over the broad jump. We'd be passing until then so he'd have my hopes up. So one time I even tried entering Open B to see if that would help him. Wouldn't you know it, but they used the Open A exercise order that time! Last weekend was our first obedience trial in since March and it wasn't pretty. Hopefully it was just a warm up for tomorrow! We've got a super nice judge who likes terriers a lot. My other cairn Morgan got her first Novice A leg from him several years ago. Hopefully, history will repeat itself.

Karen

• 4 weeks later...
:thumbsup: Pepper got his first CDX leg yesterday! I am totally pumped! I am so proud of him. He was the only small dog in a group of 20. Mostly border collies and golden retrievers. We lost most of our points on heeling. Yaay Pepp!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Hopefully the next 2 will come without a hitch.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

• 3 weeks later...
:surrender: Another NQ...Pepper stood up on his sit stay and stayed! I guess he thought it was a stand for exam. All the individual exercises were really nice. We would have had a 184.5. Bummer..I had to get up at 5 a.m. to make it down there on time. Sigh! This CDX is going to cost me a lot of money!

And never, ever do the math on these things.

This is so true! I used to have a $ column in my show schedule so I could see what I spent on all my dog show entries. The $ amount for a partial year of entries (agility, obed, ED) and seminars was large enough that I deleted the column so I didn't have to look at it anymore!

Karen

Archived