CairnTalk

Crazy Request

Will&Grace

I know this sounds like a crazy question...... but, would any of you be willing to post a "rear end" photo of your Cairn? I have been grooming Will on my own - just from books and posts on this forum and I have yet to see how the back side should really look if groomed properly. I know I don't have it right yet as he always looks funky from the rear. Any advice/photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the crazy request. Linda

Cairns do have the cutest little backsides, though. :whistle:

I've always found it difficult to groom that area correctly. I try and keep it clean and free from an abundance of hair that might help the "cling-on" community grow.

Remy has the funniest little swirl of fur underneath his tail....I'd just love to take a pic but he had other ideas when I started to get up close and personal with the camera. :lol:

I love Scooter's little backside, when we go for walks my friend always comments on his little "square" bum and his little waddle when he walks. My pictures of his bum wouldn't be the proper show cut but its CUTE!!!

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

How do you groom the tail so that it doesn't feather so much? I know it is supposed to be cone shaped, but everytime I trim the tail (with scissors), I get a feathery effect. Any suggestions?

I don't use scissors on Bailey's tail at all, much to his dislike I pull those long hairs out and try to get as close to the "carrot" look as I can. If it's going to take a lot of pulling, split it up into shorter sessions over a few days, because most of them won't stand still for it for very long.

BAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07005.jpg

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Hey - thanks for all the posts! I was worried you all would think I was crazy... Anyhow, I worked on the butt and tail and even though Will is 20 months old - I ended up getting him to look somewhat like the puppy bootie pic that Brad posted. I will try to get a photo tomorrow and post it - I'll need help to get the photo though. I sure wish there was an expert in the area that I could get a lesson or two. I have been hand stripping him since getting him as a baby and he is looking good but with a little pro help I think he would look great. He is just a "pet" - I have no intentions of showing him but it has become somewhat of a hobby trying to get him to look as he should. He doesn't typically mind all my picking and pulling which is a good thing.

So, hopefully I can get a "butt shot" and post it for opinions/help. Thanks again everyone and I love the bumper sticker! Linda

Was hoping there was a better answer than pulling the hairs from the tail. Ruby acts like she's about to be "violated" every time I go near her cute little behind. Perhaps because she was a breeder's dog who had a couple of litters, she is more apprehensive. Oh well, feathery tails it is.

Some of the feathering may be just because the coat is dead at the follicle. Any answer that doesn't involve pulling some hair won't really address that. One thing that might help, whether pulling or using thinning shears, is to be sure you aren't just trimming the 'trailing edge' of the tail. One breeder told me, "remember the tail has four sides." While that oversimplifies it (the tail is round, neh?) it is indeed a handy way to approach it. First, stand behind the dog and flatten and fan out the coat perpendicular to the axis of the dog. Trim your cone shape on the left and right edges. Then stand next to the dog and flatten and fan out the coat along the axis of the dog. Trim your cone shape on the front and rear edges. That can help get rid of some stragglers that add to the feathery look. Obviously you can flatten and fan out the tail in as many degrees around the circle as you want, but I'm just lazy enough that treating it like a box is usually good enough for me.

Another tip is to make sure you are trimming so that the taper ends just at the tip of the tail. If you have more than an eighth or quarter of an inch of hair on the very end of the tail, it's going to detract from a nice tapered appearance.

Does that make any sense?

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I posted this a long time ago and wondered if I still had it!!

Barney has these two little swirls on his rear and they are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. Kind of like two serious cowlicks. He just was not destined to be a show dog! :confused:

We fondly call them his "tushy curls"! I actually came up with another endearing term to use for their location: Barnster's bunsters! :lol:

tushicurls.jpg

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Hi,

I don't know if this is what the "standard" butt should look like, I think this pic was taken about one month after grooming-adult on left:

post-778-1190488097_thumb.jpg

Edited by pookiegirl

Thanks, Brad - does make perfect sense. On other question, when pulling the hair from the tail, should it come out easily if it is dead? I've tried pulling and nothing seems to come out.

pookiegirl - looks like you were having some help loading the dishwasher - too cute!

Barney's Mom - those litttle swirls are so cute - have never seen a bootie like that :)

Sill trying to get a shot of Will's bootie - he's kinda shy about that I guess.

From looking at the photos posted I am thinking we are still a little to thick with the hair back side.

Thanx Linda

This is the best i can get of Scooter's back end. If you look closely you may see the mud, pine needles, leaves and burrs. LOL. I wouldn't base your haircut on Scoot's bum...

Hiking008.jpg

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, I found this threat about tails and I wanted to ask:

Mushu's tail is WAY longer than any of the cute little tails shown here. Should Cairns get their tails cut? I really want him to look his best. He's been to the groomer and is starting to get nice coarse coat, but that long tail... It almost bends in the middle!

I look forward to your responses.

Lili, Toño, Luisa, Gabo, and Mushu.

Hi, I found this threat about tails and I wanted to ask:

Mushu's tail is WAY longer than any of the cute little tails shown here. Should Cairns get their tails cut? I really want him to look his best. He's been to the groomer and is starting to get nice coarse coat, but that long tail... It almost bends in the middle!

I look forward to your responses.

I trim the hair back to the tip of the tail .....

Tracy, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Tail length can be deceiving. Ideally, a line or ruler connecting the tip of the ears to the tip of the tail would be level.

Um, just in case the underlying question is, Are Cairn tails docked? = No. However as Mysticsol8 says, they are normally groomed so there isn't much hair past the tip. Also, when the tail is groomed into a Christmas tree shape (or carrot), the wide base and taper can visually shorten the appearance of the tail.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club