CairnTalk

Hiking

Jessica H

Scooter, my male Cairn (the one in the picture) is the best dog (with a few exceptions which I will post in behavior issues). I bring him walking a lot and swimming but in the 4 years I have had him I have never actually brought him hiking. I honestly didn't think he could keep up and the mountains are pretty steep. Well Monday I brought him for a 5 mile hike on a local mountain with pretty steep terrains and BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!! He was a little trooper, he had more energy than me! He was scaling rocks and jumping off pretty high rocks, going in water and chugging (quickly) along. Few gullies I bent over to pick him up thinking he couldn't jump it and before I could bend over he was already over them! He was pretty beat towards the end, he had to be lifted down some big rocks but it was understandable because his little legs went FAR!!!! I was always worried about him having a little heart attack or falling over from being tired but I was WRONG!!!

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Aren't they amazing? They're like little Energizer Bunnies -- they keep going and going! Packy's farthest walk was 12 miles, and he routinely walks 3 miles. Hikes in the local state park are a breeze and he loves jumping from rock to rock, wades right in to the water, too. And isn't fun watching how happy they are while they're doing it?!?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We vacationed in Glenn this summer but without the dogs, the mountains and waterfalls were amazing I wish we could had them with us for a few hikes. We are planning a trip to Vermont next month and look forward to a few hikes in Stowe. Hopefully my son 4 and daughter 7 will keep up!