CairnTalk

First Road Trip

Kate

Well, we wanted to take a little road trip this past weekend and didn't have a sitter for our Mila. So we decided to go and take her along, not knowing how the motels, etc. would be traveling with a dog. I was really happy to see what a little angel Mila was, stopping at the rest areas, going potty and not barking her head off at the big semis running right there. We did find a pet friendly motel, with a cost of $10.00 extra for her. The next evening we couldn't find any motels that would take pets so we drove 14 hours home.

What do all of you do when traveling with your Cairns? Do you sneak them in hotel rooms or do you plan ahead for a pet friendly hotel? I would love to travel with her more but it just seemed like pets just aren't welcome very many places.

I have only taken my dogs on one trip but it only took a few hours to get there. We stayed in a log cabin and it was i think $20 for each dog I paid for that when we reserved the cabin. I think we stopped at a gas station for them to go potty there was huge field so Scotty wouldn't bark at anyone!

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

I guess if you have the time, doing a search for "pet-friendly" hotels on the internet is the best solution. That's what we did for a trip to Boston a couple of years ago. If it's a spur of the moment thing, you either keep asking, keep driving, or sneak the little rascal in.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I must confess, on the way home from TN when we picked them up, we were on an unknown route, so we snuck them in.....they were perfect. Now when we go to FL we have our regular stop, the even walk to the door of the room and stop they are so use to it. First and last trip up and back from FL we have our motor home, so we dont have that issue. which is nice. Just please remember at the hotels to clean up when you take them out. I'm still amazed at the people that dont. And some with some obvious HUGE dogs!!!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Greta took her first road trip to California in May. It was also a first for us staying in a motel with a dog. It was a 16 hour drive. She did great. She only barked her foolhead off when woke up from her naps. I figured it was because she didn't know where she was. She also had learned a new trick. She was opening the ice chest next to her and the eating ice. It took us a while to figure out what the crunchy noise was at first, then we realized she could open it. Thank goodness there was only water and soda in there. We booked our room before we left for the trip down to California, so we knew they accepted dogs, I believe we only had to pay about $10 more. When we got to the hotel parking lot, she wouldn't stop barking! Once, we got into the room she was fine until she looked and saw herself in the floor length mirror. Then the barking spree started again and then there was a knock on the door. She could be heard from clear across the hotel. So we crated her with a kong for the rest of night and and all was well.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

Have been to a few pet-friendly hotels...Red Roof Inn, Days Inn (most that is), Best Western (varies-call ahead). These we have been to, best advice is to try and call ahead. As for our situation....we live in our fifth wheel (RV). Have not had a problem in any campground....most are happy you brought the family. The best part about camping is the people that are in the campground and they too have pets that have brought their own sniffs (just wish they would all pick up their presents). I can't say that we will ever stay in another hotel or not, love the idea that our home is where we go every night and wake to every day.

We travel with our dog all the time and have never had a problem. Hilton brand hotels usually have one or more hotels in any given city that will allow pets. I've been to a couple that even have a dog walk with complimentary poop bags out back. I've stayed at a Sheraton that allows dogs, so I assume others within that brand (Starwood) might, too. Some of the hotels allow dogs in only a few rooms, and some don't advertise the fact that they're pet friendly at all... but they are. I've never been charged an extra fee, either. We've done spur of the moment stays and have had no problem (most recently the night we moved... called at 10pm... I was just too tired to put the bed together).

I'd just suggest always calling the 800 number of whatever brand/chain you want, not the specific hotel, ahead of time. They'll arrange everything for you and you won't have to call place after place. Or try online. I know Hilton has a pet friendly option to choose when searching.

Archived