CairnTalk

wanting to foster a Cairn with addisons

Puddlesmama

:hug: HI! I am thinking about fostering cairns. I have been researching this for awhile and feel it is something I want to do. There is a Cairn that needs a foster home that has addisons and a mild case of incontinence. He uses a belly band well so the incontinence isnt a problem. I just want to see if there is any of you that is familiar with Addisons in Cairns. And if you have any suggestions? They are coming to do the homestudy next week. I am overly excited and I have been telling Puddles all about it. :D:wub:

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

Unfortunately, I had a Standard Poodle that ultimately died from Addison's at age 5. He was the most amazing dog...

He had bouts of bowel incontinence every once in a while. I do think that this is a sort of common occurence with Addison's. It would happen about every ten days... the poor guy, he was so embarassed by it. Still, he was the most graceful creature I have ever known.

It may not happen with the foster Cairn, of course. He had to take meds twice a day and the medication is very expensive, in case you think about keeping him, you should know that. Mostly, the disease responds very well to medication.

Good luck to you and the little guy.

I have an Addisonian Cairn, he was diagnosed 7 months, he is the most wonderful and loving puppy you could ever dream of. He is now 16 months old, and the funniest/active pup! As long as you treat Addison's it should not interfere with your dogs life, activities etc, incontinence may have a lot to do with too much or too little medication. We had a lot of accidents until we found the right amount of medication for him. He has a monthly shot of Percorten, and a tiny bit of Prednisone daily, (less than a quater of 1mg tablet) You might want to check out

http://www.addisondogs.com/

someone from cairnrescue league mentioned them to me when Keagan was first diagnosed. The information I get from them was and still is a real blessing to us. It made me understand how to manage his condition, how to deal with the vets concerning all related issues etc. There are also links to other sites there with more info. Read about it, if I can help you in anyway don't hesitate to contact me, or contact the group at Addison Dogs, they are a wonderful support network and very knowledgeable!

I do not know much about it, my boss had a dog that passed away from it but I think it was discovered too late. I've heard it can be treated in some instances.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

puddlesmama, you have great instincts and i believe you will do a lot of good. you'll learn a lot, too! addison's can be treated, and if you develop an expertise with it you can help a few very deserving dogs.

The hardest thing with Addison's is getting it diagnosed because the symptoms (diarreah, vomiting, depression, being lethargic & lack of appetite all which can come and go and not all be present at the same time) mimic so many other problems and most vets don't test for it until there's a crisis. I happened to luck out if you can say that, because when we went into the emergeny hospital with Keegan the vet that came on duty shortly after we checked in happened to have a dog with Addison's, he recognized it immediately and talked to us about running the test (about $200) we were fortunate that the first time we had a problem we had someone who knew enough about it to lead us to the test. Once you balance the medication which he will need for a lifetime; things should be normal, too much or too little can cause side effects such as accidents, there are many dogs with Addison's (not necessarily Cairns) competing in agility, obediece etc. I get daily updates from Addison Dogs, so I see all the posts from scared ones like we were in the beginning and people whose Addison's dogs are outliving non AD dogs, living very normal lives and passing from totally unrelated issues. I can tell you I was scared to death of losing Keegan, he was only 7 months when diagnosed. He is happy, perfectly normal and very active. So we go in for a monthly shot, (which we may start giving ourselves soon) and he gets a tiny tiny amt of prednisone (which is very cheap) daily. So far I count my blessings, we haven't had any problems. Day one I felt we had gotten a death sentence, we no longer feel that way, and no one would know he has this condition unless we told them. So I know he has to have a daily pill and a shot every 30 days, some dogs go 25 days some go over 30 days, it's costing us about $50 amonth, that I would probably blow on something much less rewarding. I know not everyone can afford that but if you can afford the treatment, and are willing to commit to being on schedule all should go well. The only other thing I would advise is to have a vet that is knowledgeable about Addison's, preferably treating other AD dogs and realizes that not all things are set in stone, willing to adjust medication as needed, (there is a starting point & then you adjust from there some dogs need a bit more others a bit less). Being able to communicate with your vet is most important!!!! It can be a challenge but one I wouldn't trade for anything, and fortunately neither would my hubby!!! If you have the desire and are able to commit I'm sure you will be rewarded!

Thanks everyone! I keep looking at that poor boys picture and i really want him here. I spoke with my vet about it and she had said pretty much the same things all of you have said. Homestudy was delayed a bit but next week it supposed to happen! Ill keep all of you updated and when he gets here I will be posting some pictures of him and Puddles. You all have no idea how much better you made me feel about it.

Ill keep you all updated !

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Maggie.... Well after I started the whole process. My 94 year old Grandfather fell broke his hip and he lives in Louisiana. I had to pack up camp for 2 weeks and didnt have all the info with me. From what I found out. The cairn I was interested in had to be placed in another foster home due to an emergency.So I am not sure what the status on me getting him is like. But there is plenty more through the rescue and I hope they allow me to help them. Still waiting on my vet and the homestudy. wish I knew of a way to speed it up!

I hope your grandfather is doing okay; same with the Cairn, I hope he finds a permanent place where he can be stable!!! I'm sure you'll get the right one that fits in and needs you. :)

Archived