CairnTalk

Pointing Duncan

Duncan's Mom

When Duncan spots someting interesting to him, he points. His tail goes straight back and his left front paw goes up and curls under. His head is erect and he has this very alert expression on his face. I will try to take a picture of him. Has anyone else noticed this with their cairn?

Mine does that as well. Then he goes from that into stalking mode. He will stalk anything that catches his attention when he is outside. Squirrels, birds, even cats. BTW his name is also Duncan. :D

yes, same with my dog. he points just momentarily while he is making his calculations for a good stalk, chase and attack. i doubt i could get him to sustain a point for more than a moment, since at that time he is completely inside his own head, not looking to give me any kind of signal.

yeah mine usually does it when they see something they want to chase

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

The other thing that Duncan does is he will crouch like a border collie and stare at something - usually a bird or squirrel. He is a good tracker as well. I just think that it is really funny that they do these moves that are associated with other breeds. This is my first terrier and I had no idea they were so versatile!

ellie does that croutching, stalking move too. Especially when i walk them right after dark and the street lights are on. When she sees something in the distance, she croutches down and starts stalking....it's sorta creepy. She really gets in the zone and doesnt even hear me, i have to nudge her to get her attention.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Will does the pointing thing as well. It is so cute - I just love when he does it and he does it a good bit. He did the croutching thing when he was a puppy but I haven't seen that one in awhile. Crazy kids we have! :)

Kirby points at all the little woodland creatures, but if my husband or I have a particularly good snack, she'll point at us before coming over to beg for a bite. She might also be ready to "shake"-that's usually the first trick we make her do for a treat!

Both of mine stalk each other and other things - they point and crawl until they are ready to attack.... got to love the Cairn spirit :)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Kirby has started to try sneaking up on squirrels-she looks like a cartoon character-carefully picking up her feet, head down, shoulders a bit hunched, until she bursts into speed-and they run up a tree.

We've actually made it into a trick for Bruski... we can put a toy a good distance away and say "Shhh... sneak up on it". Bruski will move really slow towards it, look around, point, then pounce on it (almost like a cat). It so funny - he does it a lot - but definately more when he was a puppy.

Packy points at fish! The first time my Dad saw it, he couldn't believe it, "That dog is pointing -- at a fish!" He doesn't point at chipmunks, rats, squirrels...only fish.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Packy points at fish! The first time my Dad saw it, he couldn't believe it, "That dog is pointing -- at a fish!" He doesn't point at chipmunks, rats, squirrels...only fish.

That is hysterical!

Archived