CairnTalk

The best dog food

onesojourner

really interesting list, thanks! i couldn't find a date on it and wonder if it is very current? as a footnote --my small local pet store owner just told me a couple days ago that timberwolf organics is not organic. she talked to them on the phone to ask them what was up, and they said it is just the name of their brand. they are "trying to introduce organic ingredients."

wow good to know. even if its not right up to date its still a great head start. They even have the websites listed.

really interesting list, thanks! i couldn't find a date on it and wonder if it is very current? as a footnote --my small local pet store owner just told me a couple days ago that timberwolf organics is not organic. she talked to them on the phone to ask them what was up, and they said it is just the name of their brand. they are "trying to introduce organic ingredients."

That's true Timberwolf Organics is not completely "organic" - I think some of their products contain some organic ingredients - not enough to be considered "all organic" - but it is a misleading label for their line. I've found even in organic or "hollistic" type diets you still need to carefully read the label - as some of them even have synthetic vitamin K which causes health problems - I think Newman's line still has the synthetic vitamin K (although there were discussions that they were considering taking it out of thier line)- here is a link that explains why it isn't something you want in food (yet I've found it on 4 brands in my hollistic pet feed store)

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

• 2 weeks later...

after a brief trial period we have switched to Castor & Pollux Organix, which my local grocery just started stocking. i love what i read on the label (unlike timberwolf, C&P aren't kidding about the organics), and i like the companion wet line that goes along with it. my dog is enthusiastic about it (not really an indication one way or the other, since he is enthusiastic about anything that smells yummy and will fit in his mouth). i am unable to get canidae anywhere around here. i tried felidae with my cats and it was not a success, for various reasons. i have also failed to find a regular supplier of the petguard organic line. anyway, if you find castor & pollux around, it is probably a great thing to try if you can't cook for your dog or don't have the expertise to put the meals together consistently.

Archived