CairnTalk

Allie ran off...

Kathryn

But I better say first that she is back at home now.

Steve fell asleep watching television last night and woke up around 1. He let Allie out before coming up to bed and realized he hadn't turned the hose off. He went out the garden gate to turn it off, and Allie apparently followed him. He didn't realize she was gone right away and then searched for about 20 minutes before he woke me up. He got in his car to cruise the streets while I walked with a flashlight calling for her. After about an hour, I called our neighbor who owns Allie's best friend Walt the border collie, asking if she could let him into his yard and make him bark to attract Allie. She got up and came out looking with me. (Hey, how many friends can you call in the middle of the night? She's the best...). Walt, of course, didn't bark; he couldn't figure out why we wanted him to.

I must have walked a couple miles through the alleys and streets in the neighborhood, all in rubber flip flops (ouch my toes hurt this morning). At about 3:30 we decided we wouldn't be able to find Allie and we came home. Steve was back out in the streets at 5 when it got light, and I was making some posters to staple on the telephone poles when my neighbor called about 6:30, saying "She's here!" She had slept on her porch with Walt by her, and checked the yard once in a while. Allie did go there. I had always said that if she ever got out I would check there first, because we take her to Walt's yard so often to play frisbee and ball and visit with my beighbor. When she wasn't there right away I figured she might be halfway across town, her nose to the ground and basically lost.

Steve and I are a mess, of course, because we have had to go into work and we haven't had any sleep. Allie came home, had breakfast, and curled up on her fleece bed to sleep the rest of the day. If I hadn't been so scared about losing her, I think I might be a little ticked. As it is, I am just so very happy that we got her back quickly with no harm.

These little dogs sure do put us through a lot. Good thing they're worth it.

Kathryn

I am so glad you found her safe and sound

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

so glad this had a happy ending, what a scare for you. you did everything very intelligently and your neighbor is a saint (walt too).

this is a problem with a very small and fast dog. they get through the door without you noticing. it has happened to me too.

Glad everything turned out good, KUDDOS to Walt. And of course, KUDDOS to Allie for go to someone she trusted. Yes, we too have had the runaway...yet it was -15 outside, glad Allie at least picked a warm evening/summer. Have a good day, hope you and Steve get some needed sleep tonight (both in bed). Give hugs to Allie, she knows she has a friend in Walt (he deserved a few treats also).

OMG....so how many grey hairs did you get last night?

I'm so relieved she's home now safe and sound and resting comfortably after her big adventure.

OMG, I panic when I see these topics. I'm so happy that your little girl is home safe and sound. I would be beside myself.

Try and get a good night's sleep.

I'm so glad that all turned out well. It is so scary when they get out. If we stayed as calm as they do, we wouldn't panic. When Logan got out Christmas night, we freaked as he was sleeping soundly on his best buddies porch (that's who found him).

I just read about a collar that has a doggy cell phone and GPS unit attached to it. You can call your dogs number to talk to him and also track him if need be. Obviously at $500/unit the idea was nixed but what a great idea if they could make it affordable. I would love to chip Logan with a GPS unit. Lo-Jack for pups. The cell phone I can do without. He'll hear me screaming

wholly crap...makes your blood run cold to read these posts. I'm sorry, but i think most husbands (mine at the top of the list) just dont take the paranoid care we women do when opening doors. We just got back from a campground for a week, and i was so nervous with that darn door. All those motor homes, golf carts and buses all over. Luckily the girls planted themselves on the dash and watched the world go by.....made it a little easier with the door. But i'm glad to be home!!! till next week of course!

So glad your baby is home safe and sound. When Dori escaped a few weeks ago under the new fence....I got ellie and a piece of cheese out for a louer (?).....I think bribing them with their buddy is the best way.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

We're finally catching up on sleep and settling in back to our regular routine after the Sunday night scare. So many neighbors heard me calling for the dog in the streets! And they have all been very kind about it. Turns out one neighbor who was up (he'a s teacher and off in the summer) actually got on his bicycle and rode through the streets looking too. Another neighbor saw Allie in a neighboring yard and herded her towards Walt's backyard -- he later asked my neighbor if this was the dog I was calling for...

Steve had a few conversations while walking the dogs this morning with other dog owners also out walking early. They all commiserated, though the fellow with the shepherd said he'd have to run away from home to get his dog to do so.

It's so nice to live in a neighborhood of dog people who understand and care!

wow, glad to hear all ended well!! ...i had the same thing happen to me with maggie... found her at the neighbours after looking, luckily they have 2 JRs that she likes to play with so if she escapes she will go there!...

...right after that first incident i put spring loaded hinges on my 2 gates, so i know they are always closed...

a

oh boy That is scary! I am glad she made it home safe and sound. I know how these terrier types can be about that.....I am sure we all do.

Archived