CairnTalk

successful vacation

Scruffys Mom

My husband and I elected not to travel via plane this year as we were not ready and we knew the pups were not. We drove 2500 miles from Orlando, to Charleston, to Williamsburg, then to Chapel Hill. We visited family along the way and stayed in dog friendly hotels and found wonderful doggie day cares (in advance) along the way. This was their first experience together in hotels and I was very proud of them. The only concern we had was when we went out to dinner if they would bark. They did, but no one complained and the vacation went very smoothly. My other concern was food as I home-feed and none of the hotels had fridges in the room. My cooler worked fine, we just had to refill on ice a lot. They are both very good in the car and slept the entire way. I think I am finally able to "maybe" kennel them as I can not take them every where. The doggie day care I take them to in Orl., has web cams and 24 hour attendants. They also let them sleep together. I may be able to do this at some point. I think the pups will be fine, but I am not sure I will. Sparky sleeps on my head and Scruffy sleeps in a little ball in my chest. I would miss them soooo much.

how did you find out all the information about hotels and day care? are there links you recommend for that?

For the hotels, I went on Orbitz (I did not book thru Orbitz as they charge a cancellation fee and I found the pricing directly with the hotels to be the same). Orbitz allows you to list the features you want, pet friendly etc). Once I found the hotels, I called them and had them send me an email confirmation that the dogs were allowed as I have made the mistake in the past of "on-line" info being wrong. Once I narrowed the hotels down I asked the hotel for a list of doggie day cares or utilized the yellow pages and viewed them all on line. I made sure I had reservations at the day care in advance.

I'd like to know the place in Orlando.....we just got down here today, but someday i'd like to take another cruise. I know what you mean about missing them when you sleep, I'd go through the same thing. The girls did great on the trip down here, they both sat on my lap in the motor home.....

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

The best doggie day care (IMO) in Orlando is Dog day Afternoon. There is one downtown Orlando on Gore St and a new one just opened in Sanford. The same girls have worked there for years and love the dogs. They have 2 separate play rooms (big and small) and there are attendants with the dogs all day and night. I really trust them. Nest time you are here, let me know and we can meet at one of the local dog parks!

I am here! We're booked for the next week and a half, but after that we have a few days free. We're closing on a new house on tuesday then going to Fort Wilderness for a while, my daughter and family are coming down Wed for a week. I'd love to know where the dog parks are around here, the only one we've been to is south of lazy Days in Tampa. They had fun there though. We're in Mt Olive Shores North.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Archived