CairnTalk

Well so much for the new fence!

mrskti

Well the new fence is in, they have had a ball in the yard, Ellie espeically really gets going on doing loops, she's pretty funny. But, today I heard Ellie barking, they had not been out very long at all.....and i went out, and no dori! I thought she had just crawled under the porch as I dont have the lattice up yet.....nope, not there. So I go out to the back yard and there she is....out....loose....and with the look of "wholly crap, look at all the space out here"!!!! So I try the "STOP" command that she usually drops to the ground.....ha, what was I thinking.....and what was that little black blurr going by me!!! The little fart took off like a rocket, headed behind the motor home barn, just prancing around like it was her birthday and freedom was her present. Sooooo, I try acting cool calm and collected....and just walking towards/around/anywhere she is.....no luck. So finally i go back in and hook Ellie up and grab a piece of cheese, rattling the treat bowl didnt work. So i thought if she saw us she'd think it's play time. We walk around a while, i finally go behind the other barn and all of a sudden she sees us and comes right over. I slowly squat down with my cheese and while she's going for it, i click the lead. She didnt try to bolt or anything, and i just told her what a good girl she was, while secretly wanting to smack her!!!! So hooked up we head in the house, and I guess her punishment for her was the brushing she had to have to get all those little sticker balls out of her fur!!!! I smirk, she shows her teeth.....I win.

THe exit point was where the fence crossed the flower beds, loose mulch etc....just too temping to not dig in. Landscapers coming tomorrow to do some refining around areas of the fence, i'll have him fix me up. Guess they will need supervision out there. I may get some of the little fence to block off the beds, every piece of mulch sticks to dori.....velcro dog!!!

I guess the good thing is, she didnt leap out the window!!!!!!! dogs!!!!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

glad you got ahold of her before anything happened. what can you say? i don't think fences are on the list of successful cairn barriers --they can either be climbed or tunneled under. what a bunch of crazies. you could sink a concrete foundation two or three feet into the ground, i guess. and how about the razor wire around the top? and the tower with the rotating spotlight.

Maybe I should just hire a guard!!!! LOL put up a little guard house with video survailance! I wasnt really too worried about cars etc, cause we're smack in the middle of 80 acres. I was more worried she'd get lost in the woods, there is about a total of 100 acres behind us and that cyotes would be out there after dark. thankfully she's tucked into bed.

at least three. then they can do three 8-hour shifts. they can always run the siren if there is an attempted break-out.

Don't forget to ask for credentials. They may have wired some cousins to help them escape. They might learn how to use tools, make sure they don't see the person fixing the fence, have had one go right over and look to see what was done and try to destroy it to get out. Sure envy you and your yard....can we come visit? Just kiddin, if you see a large truck with trailer pull up, just look the other way.

You handled it perfectly. Mia is my little escape artist. We've had our moments of running after Mia screaming (what can I say the panic sets in!) for her to come.

we finished our fence last week, so what i did I sent both dogs out there and let them snoop around and of course wherever I saw Napoleon trying to stick his head I knew it was a hole I needed to plug up, fortunatelly he has not tried the digging yet!!

I still stay out with them when they are out there because I know if anything Napoleon will show Sammy how to escape no doubt!!

Glad Dori is ok

Whew! I'm glad everyone's ok! My two are not diggers either, but then of course, we don't have a fence...just our neighbors and they are too busy running around to try to escape!

Well DH is home, read the invite and is packed already! mrskti just wondering where in northern illinois you were located? We are in Temple, TX and they say it is HOT! More time inside than out, in the early morning they go on a long walk with DH, bought the only time they like being outside right now. You all have a good day and good luck with the great fence and fun in the yard.

We are on the WI/IL border right in the middle of the state. I've kept my eye on these little buggers the last few days. No more escapes!! THey've been inside a lot as we've been getting ready to head to FL for a month....doesnt everyone go to FL in july/august? Duh!!!!! So the landscaping guy will come while I'm gone and do some rework for me, and it should be good to go when we get back. Now they will move to the house in FL with a new fence in the back, acutally a new house to go with the new back yard...it's a tiny yard though, should be easy to keep track of them there. They'll be going on to the Keys from there, cant wait for that, we're parking our RV right on the water edge. too cool.

They hear the motor home crank up and they go nuts barking, wanting to get out there. I hope to get some good pics of them, i've packed their life vests, hope to take them to the dog beach north of Tampa possibly.

WOW! Your are a GREAT MOM, we LIKE YOU! When we start putting things away, clean, and start up the truck, they get stuck on me like glue. It seems they are saying "YOU WILL NOT FORGET ME!" Then into the truck, I drive the semi and DH drives the pickup, in my truck it feels like a ice box (I take the boy and one girl) they love it to be about 62 in the truck. Then the other one with DH gets it about 68. FL sounds like fun, can't wait to see the pics on the beach, etc. Have a safe and great trip, will you still be able to blog? We have HughesNet so never without the internet. Happy Trails.

Archived