CairnTalk

Hattie the flying cairn.....

Greg P

We live in a 2 story house and have about a 25 foot drop to the deck from the back windows. This afternoon, our girl Hattie, alerted to the neighbors dog from the back of a chair against the window. She jumped against the window screen -- it popped out-- and she went flying through the window.

There is good news, here. Last year, we built a patio cover, and she landed on it. Whew! Val (my wife) was in the the room, and jumped on the cover to retrieve her. What could have been disasterous turned out to be an elelvated heart rate.

For any Cairn Talk readers who have second story windows...... cairn proof them!

First pic shows the patio cover (with screen laying in the middle of it)

Second pic shows a couple of 12x12 barriers to keep her in!

post-2067-1184551007_thumb.jpgpost-2067-1184551025_thumb.jpg

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Whoops! Hey Brad, can you move this to "cairn life"? I posted here by accident.....

She made it to tell the tale (this time). This is not in "in memoriam" post (although it could have been)

Greg

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

what a story! very glad to see it was misplaced. i was afraid i was going to read about the late great hattie.

cairn proof you second storey, indeed. i suppose this had to happen to somebody...

Greg -

So glad to hear she landed okay!

I can't quite tell from your picture, but I'd really like to know what you made that screen from. I've been looking for a good creative solution to a 2nd story deck with beams placed too far apart, but can't do anything permenant since it is a rental.

Jodi,

They are 12x12 steel panels. The best that I can figure, they are for metal storage cubes. We ran into a pack of about 6 of the for $5.99 one day at a thrift store. We use them for everything -- basic barriers, under the steps and for a skirting for the motor home when we make expen runs, etc.

Brad,

Yikes is right. Without that roof to land on it may have been a memoriam! The little bitch has only 3 points to go to finish and she's so close to qualifying for her first junior earthdog leg -- and besides she's a Daddy's girl!

Greg and Val Perry

Wow how scary.

I am surprised that she didn't slide down the roof, glad to hear that everyone is ok.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Oh my...another harrowing experience!

I swear sometimes they are worse than kids....so glad no one was hurt.

Hattie can be such an angel :innocent:

post-2067-1184630640_thumb.jpg

And sometimes she's a little devil :twisted:

post-2067-1184630662_thumb.jpg

Greg and Val Perry

Thank goodness, she wasn't hurt. Did it scare her, or was she like, what I didn't do anything! :innocent:

The last two pictures are great. They definitly show the many faces of cairns.

strange she looks gray in one and wheaten in the other. or does she change colors with her personalities?

oscar's mom -- She seemed a little scared at first. Like most cairns, though her memories of the event were quite short. Later in the afternoon she was prancing around like nothing had happened. Val on the other hand was a basket case for the rest of the day.

PK -- She's actually a red / wheaton. I should manually enhance that digital pic and warm up the color to show her true colors.

Greg and Val Perry

wholly crap, what a look on her face in the second shot!!!!! These cairns just have no fear.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

We affectionatley refer to the second shot as "Fear the bitch!"

Jill Arnel created a t shirt line in her cafe press business and titled it "The Abominable Snow Cairn"

Others have called it "Kung Fu Cairn"

It was a tiny portion of a 5 dog photograph that I isolated and blew up. Because it was snowy and the photo is grainy because of the blow up, it has a real eerie feel to it. It's one of those one in a million shots.

She was just playing....HONEST!

Greg and Val Perry

the abominable snow cairn. very good. it is an excellent shot. a few people on here have asked what a frenzy is. if you have to ask, count your blessings.

It looked like the one ahead of Hattie was going to get a mouth full :twisted: . Yeah been around quite a few of those frenzies, mainly with our littlest one. Looking at that pic just reminded me of how our, Cinders, littlest one can out of the blew come at the boy, Ashes (who weighs 25# all muscle) and hit him like a tank (she weighs 18#). Knocks him over and attacks, he so big that she a few good nips and then the chase in on. As for the screen popping, I can just see her look around like "What? There was something I HAD to GET!" We have had them jump out of our semi-tractor (when they were younger and we were working over the road), jump out of our travel trailer miss all 3 steps hit the ground running - at a show where every body gets to know the wild ones real quick. But I would not trade a thing about these guys, as they get older the mishaps get less but the fun continues.

Archived