CairnTalk

Bell Method and other Training Techniques?

Lili

We use the bell here with good luck, you have to learn when they really need to go or just want to get a bit of air. We hung a bell on the door knob and as we took the dogs out we made them ring the bell and within a few days they would go to the door and ring the bell to be let out. I think the key here was they were already house trained and we just added the bell.

The no nipping we just had to keep working on that took a while but with constant and consistent corrections that worked as well.

The biggest one tip you will get and I am sure you have heard this before whatever you do be consistent and as you learn how to communicate with your new best friend things will get better.

I bought one of those call bells they have at receptionist's desks and put it by the front door. The first couple of times we went out, I hit the bell with Kenna's paw. She hated it, so I switched to just hitting the bell myself with the intention of getting her used to it and then trying with her paw again. After a week or so, I was sitting at my desk and heard the bell ring. However, she rings the bell whenever she wants to go outside, whether she needs to go or not. She's only been using the bell for a week or so, so I'll have to get better at telling the difference.

oh my, i'm just imagining what life would be like with my cairn and a bell. he'd suddenly think of a reason to go out. ding. now i'd like a treat. ding. i'm bored. ding. where're my slippers? ding. what's this bell for? ding. day and night. ding ding ding

oh my, i'm just imagining what life would be like with my cairn and a bell. he'd suddenly think of a reason to go out. ding. now i'd like a treat. ding. i'm bored. ding. where're my slippers? ding. what's this bell for? ding. day and night. ding ding ding

don't forget "i want some more water....ding" That's the most frequent reason for excess rings in our house. Then you take him out and instead of going potty, he sits down on the deck and starts licking the water off.....great fun!

We tried bell training and I'm not sure what happened, but somehow we trained the dogs to come inside when we ring the bell rather than training them to ring the bell to go outside. I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Archived