CairnTalk

Should I or shouldn't I?

Rachel D

Hi everyone,

I need some input FAST! I have researched Cairn Terriers enough to know that they would be a good mix with my family, and found a reputable breeder on-line who has 2 adult dogs that he wants to sell. They were both breeding dogs, unaltered, but have not been living full-time in the home (The kennel is separate from the house). They are selling the stud because they have a new one that offers a broader range of colours, and the 2 males are not getting along. The one he is selling is 2 1/2 years old, and he is willing to sell a 7 year old female (who is done breeding) with him since they have been companions for a long time, and he would like to see them stay together. I am thrilled at the idea of owning adult cairns and skipping the puppy stage, as we have 4 children and are quite busy, but I am worried about the possible lack of house skills, and wonder how the dogs would adapt to living with us. I understand, of course, that there will be an adjustment time, but I'm looking for advice - Is this worth the work, and what would be involved? We plan on having them spayed/neutered immediately and putting them in obedience class, but what does everyone think about this scenario? Also, are there any red flags with a breeder selling 2 breeding dogs? He says they are in perfect health, and the reason he gave makes sense to me, but I'm not a breeder so I don't really know.

Thanks for your help!

Rachel,

Breeders retire dogs for various reasons. We have gotten two retired breeder/show dogs from the same breader about 5 months apart from each other. Our first female (3yrs) was retired because she wasn't giving show quality puppies and the second one (6yrs old) was retired because she developed an infection. Adopting these two dogs should be good, I am assuming the breeder is willing to send them to the same home because he sees that they will get along fine. Our dogs needed a little remedial house training after we brought them home because its a new surounding. They also wanted to see what all they could get away with. I would recommend keeping them in an X-Pen in the kitchen or tiled surface till you feel that you can trust them. We are working on our 3rd dog who is a puppy and he sleeps in the x-pen at night in the kitchen, eats his meals in there and waits 30 minutes after a meal to go outside for his "thing." After that he is in the living room with the rest of the family. We have other parts of the house baby gated off till we know he knows that we go potty outside and not in the dining room where nobody can see him.

Training sounds like a great idea and would recomend it that way everybody will be less stressed and the dogs will learn what to expect and how to act with your family.

Good Luck,

Darrell

sheila and Misty

sounds good but your lfe may be caotic for awhile untill they adapt. be prepared, I would also make sure they cant have puppies.

And a good idea is to set your family down ahead of time and discuss a few basic rules that are to go into effect as far as what the dogs are allowed to do or not. Make sure everyone sticks to the same routine..the transition will go ALOT smoother with everyones consistancy and co-operation...lotsa luck!! :D hope it works out for you. Expect accidents for awhile untill they understand what is expected of them. Change and new environments are hard on any living creature.

:redflag: Most breeders would spay/neuter these dogs themselves, before letting you have them.

:redflag: A new stud that offers a "broader range of colors" :confused1:

Were these dogs advertised as for sale on a web site? If so, :redflag:

Red flags aside, in general, adult dogs bring their own challenges but are a great way to get a known quantity, without enduring the puppy years. By spaying and neutering them immediately you are doing the right thing. Likewise, getting them into training will do a lot more than just help teach them manners - it will vastly increase your enjoyment of them, it will give them rewarding work to do (dogs LOVE to have a job) and will help them build a bond with you. I would think it would be very much worth it. If terriers are indeed a good match for your family dynamic, then good luck and have fun! See you on the forum. Bring pictures :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived