CairnTalk

New Cairn Owner

Danegeld

Greetings

I do hope I'm posting this in the proper forum, if not please relocate :confused1: . I just want to share a picture of the newest addition to our family. My wife (Jen) & youngest daughter's new Cairn, "Oscar Frank" DOB- 1/25/07 is keeping us all busy, LOL. Jen got him from a breeder down in the Nebraska pan handle. We live in a very rural area in western South Dakota with barns and lots of old buildings for snooping around. Our two Labs have already made fast friends with this little man, but he's still an inside dog and mainly religated to the leash at least until he gets used to the place more. We've had him just a little over a month and a half. Sadly, we don't have AKC registration but that's really no matter because this is the dog my girls choose...

On the other hand, I do have (America's Pet Registery) pedigree paperwork going back six generations on him but, that's all. Is there any recourse we have that you may be able to share as far as getting AKC paperwork started or is it too late... :pray:

Take Care and thanks for your time

Ben

Oscarfrank.jpg

If you want to leave your footprints in the Sands of Time, Wear WorkBoots...

Welcome to the forum, Oscar is darling. He'll need lots of close attention before you turn him loose from the lead. Cairns are bolters!!!! Have fun with the little guy.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Welcome to our forum family! What a gorgeous little guy Oscar is - you will have a lifetime of happiness with him, no doubt. Cairns are known to be diggers and runners so you might want to be VERY VERY careful. Losing our Cairns by having them run off is our biggest fear.

We can't wait to watch Oscar grow and to hear all your stories about him.

Thank you very much for the comments. Yes, he's a bolter/runner for sure and loves to dart around the bushes and trees, lol. He keeps us on our toes for sure...

Take Care

Ben & Jen

Welcome, don't forget to add yourself to the map, we don't have anyone from South Dakota. I grew up in Northeast Wyoming (Upton) and my parents are from South Dakota (McIntosh and Bridgewater). My dad now lives in Chamberlain and my brother lives in Madison.

Welcome to the forum! Your little Oscar reminds me a lot of our 4 yr. old, Bailey, when he was that age. Bailey is registered as a Red Cairn, and Oscar looks about the same to me. Brindle is a coat of many colors, and like all Cairns, that coat may change, more than once, over the years. Our 14 month old female, Sophie, is a black/gray/red brindle. As for the AKC registration, I don't really know if that is possible if the litter wasn't AKC registered. You may be able to get more info from AKC.org. I know Oscar is going to love all those "wide open spaces" out West, but like the others have said, Cairns will bolt unless very, very well trained to be recalled. Here are a couple of pictures of our babies so you can see their coat colors:

LexiesDanceDogs001.jpg

LexiesDanceDogs005.jpg

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Got to love the little guy :) We just adopted a boy cairn that looks similar to yours. He was born on 1-1-07 so we know what you are going through. Our little boy is a genius at trying to find ways over gates inside of our house. He is not on the full run of the house yet. We just do not trust him enough yet...few potty accidents the first month that we had him. I swear that they are monkeys in cairn fur. Good luck with the tyke.

Darrell

Thanks Again and I love all your little ones. I've got to tell ya'll a funny little story which happened about a week ago. In addition to Oscar and the two Labs we also have three indoor cats which have (thankfully) been be declawed. Oscar as you know likes to snoop around the, (*ahem poop) of other creatures and he's more than once been caught near the litter box with mischief on his mind...

Well anyway I was sitting on the couch reading and heard the deep threatening growl of a cat it was out big (13 lb.) male cat and he was in attack mode near the entry flap of the litter box. His ears were back and he was hissing. The covered litter box was shaking and tilting from side to side and I thought the top of it was going to fly off, something was inside which wasn't supposed to be! It happened so fast. It was then I saw the little black nose of Oscar peeking out. I grabbed the cat and Oscar made his escape under the couch, LOL... The funniest cat/dog situation I've seen in a long time.

Oscar only weighs about 9 lbs (w/full belly) now and the cat was just too much for him I guess... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindest Regards

Ben & jen

Welcome to Cairn Talk Forum. This is definitely the go to site to learn all about Oscar as he grows and matures. There will be dozens of questions you will have and hopefully, we will have "been there, done that" so we can help you answer them. If you've never been owned by a Cairn before, you are in for a treat !!! They will steal your heart before you can turn around. Again, welcome to you and yours and please, post pics as Oscar grows. BTW, he's a real cutie, love his coloring.

Well anyway I was sitting on the couch reading and heard the deep threatening growl of a cat it was out big (13 lb.) male cat and he was in attack mode near the entry flap of the litter box. His ears were back and he was hissing. The covered litter box was shaking and tilting from side to side and I thought the top of it was going to fly off, something was inside which wasn't supposed to be! It happened so fast. It was then I saw the little black nose of Oscar peeking out. I grabbed the cat and Oscar made his escape under the couch, LOL... The funniest cat/dog situation I've seen in a long time.

That is so funny! I can definitely envision that scenario, which makes it even funnier! :lol:

Oscar is a definite cutie. He looks a lot like Henry, just less shaggy. (I'm not so good at grooming.) I think we even have the same collar!

He is really adorable! Congratulations. I am sure you are getting quite familar with the breed we all are head over heels for. Some tips that I give all new Cairn owners:

~ they are generally not the best "off leash" dogs as they tend to run off a lot of the time.

~ Start figuring out what you want to do for grooming, hand stripping or clippering.

~Find a dog trainer in your area that is familar with terrier breeds and trains positively and get enrolled in a class!!!

Archived