CairnTalk

New Toys

oregoncoast71

Ok Greta is going on a road trip and being a good cairn mommy that I am, I want to get her a new toy or two.

I am bringing her kong with a jar of peanut butter.

Has anybody tried these?

Or if you have any other suggetions, I am need of some new toys, because Greta has pretty much destoryed most of Jake's Toys :innocent:

Thanks!

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

We take Packy with us a lot when we travel and he is never really interested in toys while in the car. A bully stick, yes, but I've tried taking toys along and they end up just taking up space.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We have something very similar to the toy you linked. Henry loves it. It keeps him occupied for a long, long time. He rolls his around the house (pushes it with his nose) and chases it all over. It's by far the best toy we have. He doesn't like to chew it, though, so we only give it to him when he is free to run around the house or yard with it. He prefers rolling it around and he picks it up and then drops it to get the food/treats to fall out. :) It works as a ball, too, if Greta likes to fetch. I would definitely get that toy!

As for traveling - we don't take many toys, either. I usually take a kong and PB and some bones for him to chew on. That usually keeps him occupied enough. He sleeps in his crate in the car and ignores anything I might give him in the car.

We're tagging along with my husband this week on a short trip that's fairly close to home (business trip) and I packed Henry's rolling kong thing, a couple of bones and his food. That's it. I'm always a little nervous when taking him to a new place, but he's always fine. I'm sure Greta will be fine, too. Good luck!

I mainly looking for something that will occupy her time, if and when I will need to leave her in her crate. She is barking fool, so the more distractions the better. I am going to feel a little better leaving her at my friend's house instead of a motel during the services. She has a stuffed duck that in her crate in the car and she just lays her head on it, as it's a pillow. I have her little suitcase packed with a chew bone, a kong, handy wipes, poopy bags, dramamine, water and food. :thumbsup:

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

I have her little suitcase packed with a chew bone, a kong, handy wipes, poopy bags, dramamine, water and food. :thumbsup:

I just came back here to mention poopy bags! I've been stuck having to use napkins from the car, so don't forget those! Sounds like you're good to go.

sheila and Misty

dont forget a water bottle peptobismal,wipes a roll of paper towel sulfodene flea comb blanky favorte toy breathmints plenty of little biscuits and definately poop bags and chew sticks. maybe you could presoak large cheweeze brand rawhide in chicken or beef bouillion over nite let it dry hard again. or if you dont mind the mess a beef basted chew eeze. maybe one big ball of knotted rope. the kong works fairly well but misty got sick of p-butter after awhile. you could pack it with cheese too. or some soft chews like puparoni type and pack it tight! good luck

We make the trek with Izze from the Central Coast of California to Oregon/Washington at least twice a year. Although normally an active girl, she is a great traveller...and will sleep in her crate, I make sure she has a chew or kong too; but most of the time we do not know she is there.

Watch the rest stops on your way...my sister just came down and she said that there were lots of fox tails at the rest stops this year.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Well we are packed up and almost ready to go. Geez, she has a lot of stuff to pack. lol

As far as rest stops, for our safety we usually avoid any of the roadside rest stops. We usually stop at shopping centers, malls, etc.. I feel safer.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Bruski has that exact toy and loves it - We don't always buy the treat that goes on top, but you can still put treats inside like a kong and its lasted over a year now.

Even though Bruski loves it, don't think he would pay much attention to it in the car because he's so preoccupied!!!

we have one of those too....Charley loved it - BUT, he demolished the treat in about 10 minutes. We have put other stuff in it instead, but really it's not much of a challenge for him to get it out. Also - and this is weird, but the blue plastic smells something awful.... :sick:

Archived