CairnTalk

Motel & Hotels w/Cairns

oregoncoast71

I found out this morning that my aunt had a severe stroke. I may need to take a trip to Calfornia with my mom. I am bringing Greta with us. This will be her first long trip. Since I have never stayed at a hotel/motel with a dog before, what is the protocol? I am going to be looking for pet friendly places. There may be times where she will be left for a period of time (in her crate of course). If I can I might have a friend's daughter watch her in the room. I know they shouldn't be unoccupied. Any suggestions?

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. Where are you headed in California? My AAA guide has symbols that show if dogs are allowed and indicates how much you may be charged for them. If you are a member you can pick up a guide, there are two, a Southern and Northern version. Motel 6 always takes dogs but some are not at all decent.

Edited by dianer

We are heading to Morgan Hill/Gilroy area. I have stayed at the Motel 6 in Gilroy and it's decent. I am just worried about leaving her in the room alone. I know some places don't like animals unattended in their rooms. I will be taking her pretty much everywhere with us, but there maybe a time where I might have to leave her for a few hours. I would leave her home with my Dad but I think it will be a little overwhelming for him to watch both dogs and 3 cats. He can handle his dog (Jake), but Greta is a handful.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

we travel with our cairns all the time, but i dont think any of the hotels/motels allow them to be left in the room alone. With all the noises around it just prompts them to bark. I'd just call ahead and ask them. Plus there is always an extra charge for the dog. Maybe you could find a daycare place for Greta while you're there?

sorry about you're Aunt.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Thanks.

I am hoping that I can find a daycare facility or maybe another family member could watch her if she needs to be unattended. If I take her to daycare won't she need a bordatella shot? Which she doesn't have.

Edited by oregoncoast71

We've traveled with Henry many times and have never had a problem with it. We stay at Hilton brand hotels (because my husband is a work traveler and always has points to use), and we've found that they usually have at least one pet friendly hotel in whatever city we happen to be going to. My recommendation would be to call the 800 number of whatever hotel chain you choose and have them get all info for you. We've never paid an extra charge, but we encountered one hotel just last week that required a $100 cleaning fee (brand new, huge, suite type extended stay place). Just keep asking if you encounter that. We said no to that fee and it turns out there was another hotel in the same city that required nothing.

We've also never had a problem leaving him in the room while we're out. We put him in his crate with a kong and leave the tv on to mask some of the noises he might hear. Hotels are typically pretty empty during the day, and he's not a big random barker, so I feel ok about it. We put the do not disturb thing on the door so the housekeepers don't freak him out, too. He's usually sound asleep when we return. We've never had a complaint.

Good luck. I'm sorry you're having to travel under the circumstances.

So sorry to hear about your aunt. I will pray for her speedy recovery.

:offtopic:

Now, I'm not suggesting this, but....while returning from a vacation a few years ago during a horrible winter storm, my family and I were forced to stay in a hotel rather than try to drive home. We had already picked up our animals from our friends who were taking care of them so we had a dog, a cat, and 4 birds all in the car with us...

Unfortunatley, all the hotels were booked, except for one that did NOT alow animals. There was no way we were going to leave our animals in the car. Thankfully the hotel had side entrances with key entry. We put a blanket over the bird cages and carried them in, carried king the kitty wrapped in a towel...no prob...who would think. Now our lab was a little tougher. She is over 150 pounds...try carrying that under a blanket...lol. Thankfully she is extremely well trained and we ran her right to the room, no problems.

So maybe we cheated, but eh, it was worth it...

Amber

Edited by Amber and the zoo

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

when we picked dori and ellie up from the breeder at 6 weeks, we were off in unknown territory in TN, we actually snuck them in under our jackets, i mean, how tiny were they. They were no problem in the room, and had a ball running around. I put them in the tub once to keep track of them!!! Sorry, didnt mean to go off on a tangent, but dang they were cute!!! LOL just a stroll down memory lane!!

347493A2377Ffp633Dot3E23443D73B73D5.jpg

ragwrestling.jpg

Edited by mrskti

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my aunt isn't doing better. There has been severe damage to her brain. I believe they will be removing her from life support.

So it looks like we will be heading down there sometime next week. I am checking with my other aunt who has a dog and find out where she will be staying. I belive though out of all the hotels in the area Motel 6 will be our best bet. I am going to bring Greta's ex pen with us. Along with a few toys that she likes. I hoping to set up the ex-pen at my aunt's house so she can be among the rest of family. The weather is to be warm (around 75-80). I am hoping if I do have to leave her in the room she will be fine with her kong and the TV.

It's going to be an interesting trip.

The Quality Inn in Morgan Hill also lists small pets allowed with a $10 fee (408) 779-0447. Sounds like the Expen is a fine idea, always handy. Hope it is as good a trip as it can be for you. If it were more of a pleasure excursion I would invite you to stop by here in Redding but maybe next time. We take Cassie almost everywhere with us and love to have her as she is a comfort and great company.

Edited by dianer

So sorry about your Aunt. I know this is a difficult time for you. We always stay at Red Roofs. VERY pet friendly. They have one wing that is pet dedicated so if you are on that wing, you know there will be dogs barks. We too leave the television on when we run for a meal. Never and issue.

Best of luck and again, my prayers are with you and your family.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately my aunt passed away this morning. So we will be heading down there on Wednesday. A family friend of ours has offered her house to us while we are down there. They have a dog as well. So it looks like we might be staying there, instead of a motel. I am going to be packing her ex-pen to take with us, so if we spend sometime at my aunt's house she can be outside and confined. Their backyard isn't dog friendly and with my uncle's allergies and asthma she would need to be kept outside.

Diane, I will be staying in Redding on the way down there. I have a list of a few places that are pet friendly.

Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers. :hug:

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing.

I am an Aunt and Great Auntie to many and we are so close.....almost like brother's and sister's, as some are close in age.

Again, please accept my condolences.

Cathy and family

Cathy and Piper

I have never had a problem traveling with my doggies, obviously you want to make sure that you pick one that allows pets (duh) some charge a deposit for each animal and each night, some charge a flat rate, and some will refund it to you after your stay. Usually they don't want dogs left alone in the rooms at all, although I am sure it is allowed in some places. It wouldn't hurt to call ahead and find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Our trip went fine. At our first hotel, we did have a complaint about Greta and her barking. She was barking at herself in the mirror the night we got there. But I just crated her with her kong and never heard a peep out her all night.

We were really blessed with cool weather so, she was able to crated in the car (windows down and parked in the shade) while we atttended the services. At the gathering afterward, she had fun playing with my cousin's little girl (Natalie). Natalie (6 years old) drew a picture of greta for me, I will try and scan it and post it later. The only bad thing that happened is that my mother fell and broke her leg while down there. Now Greta has to put on her nurse's cap and care for my mom.