CairnTalk

First Camping Trip of 2007

Barney's Mom

Our first attempt at camping this year was cold and frustrating.... We had 10 Junior High boy scouts to one side of us, screaming until the wee hours, making Barney bark his fool head off!! Then we had a group of young gentlemen cursing like sailors at the top of their lungs, also until the wee hours..... Then in the morning we wanted to take a nap after breakfast to catch up on the sleep we lost.... The boy scouts had a rocket launching session not 30 feet from our tent, sending loud toy rockets over our campsight,,,yep, you guessed it....every time it happened, ten times to be exact, Barney went balistic..... I guess you could have called them ballistic missiles!!!

We all came home and crashed! I hope this is not how the rest of the camping season is going to be! We all wanted to vote Barney off the Island when he wouldn't be quiet!! Granted, he had an excuse, but still.....it made for a frustrating time for all of us. We will try again in June! Wish us luck!!

Barney and his Daddy upright, doing a little bonding...

00000008_14.jpg

Camping dog Barney!

00000005_11.jpg

The base camp....way too early to be up, (notice the position of the sun!) but hey we were all awake, thanks to the boy scouts!! :twisted:

00000002_23.jpg

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

If it's any consolation at all... My German Shep 'Wayon' who was very well trained- he held both a CD and TD- would go nuts at fireworks. The only think I ever found to calm him down was a doggie-downer- You might want to ask you Vet, I used an OTC allergy med that would make Waylon sleepy.

But bottle rockets outside 30 feet away? I'm not sure if anything would calm a dog down from that....No dog i've ever owned would have Not Barkedfoolheadoff.

But camping was a new experice for Barney, so with exposure he should get the hang of it. But call the vet, it's good to know what you can use to calm your dog down if you need to.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I love the pictures. Barney didn't do anything any other well rounded Cairn would do, :innocent:

As you camp more and he gets use to it things will be better.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Fireworks were the one thing our gone but not forgotten Cairn Max hated with a passion. It made the 4th of July difficult to say the least. One year we got a citation from the burough and the poor dog lost his voice the next day. We tried getting way far out by backpacking some years. Other years we gave him doggie downers. The vet said it was the same pills they give for doggie airplane flight anxiety. Even with the pills he managed to growl and bark then tip over so that you felt sorry for him. In his old age he went deaf and it was a bit of a blessing that one day of the year.

I think Barney was getting his practice in for the 4th of July festivities! Call it a practice for the big day!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Glad to know Jack isn't the only one who barks his fool head off! I can't tell you how many times I've used that saying with him! I feel for you....camping should be relaxing. Too bad for the Scouts and the Teens.....maybe next time will be better for you and Barney.

Jack's Mom

Archived