CairnTalk

Do they remember Mom?

Hagar

:confused1: I just "dogsat" for my neighbor's two Doxies over last weekend. The two are Mother and Son. I've done it for her several times when she has been out of town, but this time the following question came to mind.

With Mother's Day coming in only a couple of weeks, it seems like a good time to ask.

Renny is 21 months old ( today in fact ) and hasn't seen his Mother since he was a little less than eight weeks old. So.....if he did see his Mom, would he know that she was his Mom and therefore "Special". Or would he think that she was just another dog?

Hagar.

Interesting question. I suspect they know but that being dogs, the significance may not translate to the Hallmark Moment we tend to associate with such knowledge. For that matter, I'm not sure that even if it does, that we are capable of recognizing it in dog culture.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I saw a National Geographic video about bears who reunite with their siblings by chance. There was not the territorial aggression that usually accompanies an encounter with another bear, they just went about their business side by side. I would imagine in the dog world, it would be a similar situation. I don't think your dog would run up and start licking his long lost mom, but I think there would be an "understanding" that was visible between the two of them.

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Hmmmm, we kept a St. Bernard from my mom's bitch. When they would see each other they could care less. My vote, they won't really know or care !

I know we humans have a tendency to credit our pets with human feelings and emotions. "Experts" of course are sure that animals operate strictly on instinct, but that those of us with pets see things differently.

I suppose that the truth is somewhere in between. I think that they operate on a combination of learned behavior -- housebreaking being one example--. and instinct --chasing rabbits -- in the case of our Cairns. It's the old "Nature vs Nurture" thing.

Without trying to compare a dogs feelings to our own, I guess I'm just curious if they treat Mom differently than other dogs.

Hagar.

I had a GSD 'Waylon' who would see his Dam from time to time at Obedience trials- Waylon never showed any recation to her.... But when Waylon would see 'Russ' the breeder he would go nuts... it would always end with Russ on the ground and Waylon licking him. Waylon would only see Russ maybe once or twice a year- I think Waylon knew Russ by his smell.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

sheila and Misty

no vote here. I seriously doubt a reunion would make any difference to them. they are pushed away at such an early age I think the only thing they miss is the first week away from siblings cuddling to sleep-or to play. and if you as the owner have those situations covered te dog wont miss a thing.. just my theory

Good point Sheila and Misty. When I really think about it, it would be similar to an infant taken away from Mom at an early age. It's doubtful if a child in that situation would recognize it's Mother several years later.

I've had company and haven't been able to spend much time on the computer or I'd have replied sooner.

Hagar.

Archived