CairnTalk

Reaching full size

georgie_girl

In terms of their height and length, bone growth stops about about 6 months. Their muscular structure continues to mature and by the time a Cairn is a year old they are fully mature physically.

I remember being told that also at 18 months or so the dog's "chest will drop" or something to that effect, causing the dog to fill out completely and gain a couple of additional pounds. Is this correct? Mine is about 16 months now, and he's put on a pound in the past month or two (up to 17.5 lbs now), and I couldn't tell if he was getting fat or bulking up due to maturation. Anyone know?

I have no idea if Curry is getting fat or not :P but I would tend to agree that while the length and height dimensions are set fairly quickly it can take 18 months to even a couple years to 'body up.' Even the standard says, "Weight and measurements are for mature dogs at two years of age. Older dogs may weigh slightly in excess...". Some dogs/lines seem to take rather a bit longer to look mature as well.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived