CairnTalk

I had a quiet laugh at the park today...

OzGirl

I took the girls to the park this afternoon, and as usual they were on their long leads. A kelpie came running over to play and everyone was happy. The owner walked over to us and said to her dog, "That's not fair they are at disadvantage they are on a lead". I laughed and said its okay I never let them off cos they don't always come when called. She gave me a funny look as though I should train them properly, then she walked off calling her dog. Guess whose dog stayed playing with my two. :D I walked in the opposite direction thinking her dog would follow her but he kept playing with Roxy and totally ignored his owner. She got half way across the park, calling him the whole way, when she decided she was going to have to come back and get him. I stood still so she could catch him and then they left, I had to smile to myself cos her dog reinforced to me why I don't let mine run free at the park.

ctdogs.jpg

sheila and Misty

thats surely a lesson not to be too confident and overly smug..bit her....tooo funny I cant get the satisfaction grin off my face I know not nice......but :D anyway!

Try not to be too judgmental of the dog owner. In most of the dog parks in my area, you can NOT have a dog on a leash. She was correct on stating your dog was at a disadvantage as dogs recognize the leash and have a different demeanor with each other on or off. I frequent dog parks daily and have issues with Scruffy as she will rarely obey me on the park. Most dog owners face that dilemma in the park, but forsake obedience for the opportunity for their dogs to socialize and have a "pack mentality", if they feel secure of no violence. I will be the first one to question why a dog is on leash on the park, as this person did to you. As you feel justified in your smugness, she felt completely justified in questioning you, regardless if her dog obeyed her or not. Dog parks are not an obedience contest, it is a reward for dogs who have been well behaved, well exercised and get a chance to be a dog.

I am very lucky with Gem because yes she likes to run and greet other dogs but the moment she realizes I am walking on then she is straight there with me.

I do have to be very vigilent though because she does not like big dogs so I put her on the lead if I see one approaching. This makes her react even more but I can't take the risk of her being attacked by another dog especialy one much bigger than her.

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Fortunately, the dog parks I take them to are divided, big and small dogs. Frequently, weekly, if not daily, there is a small dog incident in the big dog area. I sympathize with the big dog owners as many small dog owners think there dog either likes or can hang out with big dogs. Unfortunately, dog parks can be disastrous and all it takes is one rogue dog or a big dog stepping on a small dog to hurt it. There have been many situations where a small dog incites a big dog, the little one is attacked and the large dog owner is cited. Go figure. My dogs play very hard and rough and I have many times been tempted to take them over to the big side, but the voice inside my head says "don't do it". I could never forgive myself if my lack of judgment resulted in harming my pets. When the little dog park is loaded up with tea cups or fragile dogs, I move on and take them to lake where they can get a great walk.

In most of the dog parks in my area,
There is no such thing as a dog park here, its just some parks you are permitted to let them off leash. There is no fencing and frequently they are on busy roads (as in this case). I would love there to be safe park to let them run free.
Try not to be too judgmental of the dog owner

I guess my reaction is due to the fact that I am sick of being continually questioned about why I won't let my dogs off lead, or told I'm being mean or being told how I should train them so they don't need a leash.

ctdogs.jpg

OzGirl, I totally feel your pain. Where I live, so many dogs are allowed by their owners in unfenced yards, or off free in the parks, and they NEVER come when called by their owners. (No dog parks here, at least none I've found.) And I'm sure they're "trained." And I get the most dirty looks for daring to walk past with my little Cairn nicely on her leash, because surely I was causing their dog to be naughty. My heart drops every time some dog dashes across the street to sniff Kirby. I'm waiting for that one time there's a car.

Hi Ozgirl

I completely misunderstood you. I thought you were in a bone'a'fide dog park. I would never ever let my dogs off leash in a park. You are 100% correct in what you are doing.

Hey, what happens at Dog Park stays at dog park ! Ours is really nice, since I don't have my eyes on Toby 100% of the time, I always walk around before I leave and pick up any stray poops.....Sat. while there, I had to walk and walk until I finally found one and claimed it ! There is even a dog level drinking fountain and the park has dispensers for bags and special trash cans. I finally know where my tax dollars are going :)

We don't have dog parks in the UK either

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

I am very blessed to have a Cairn that I can trust off leash. He has however humbled me a couple of times but generally as long as I have a ball in my hand he won't leave my side unless I throw it of course... :twisted:

The dog park in my neighborhood is great and so are the other dog owners. Saidi absolutely loves going. Sometimes on our nightly walk she will pull me in the direction of the park harder than any truck could :devil: There is no separation for big and small dogs and I only had one incident where blood was drawn. A very large dog decided that Saidi looked like a good chew toy and kept after her. This lasted about 5 minutes with Saidi trying to stay away when she'd had enough. The big dog came at her bearing teeth and with one quick snap my little mini bulldozer took a chunk out of the defenders nose. Off ran the offender yelping and Saidi trying to follow. I snagged her while she ran past and apologized to the other dog's owner. He said "there's no problem, that's exactly what he deserved". And in fact, all the dogs played together better after that incident. Occasionally there are much smaller dogs in the park and it's necessary for the owners to create a human wall to keep the running mass of dogs (usually with Saidi in the lead) away from the smaller ones.

Archived