CairnTalk

Jump heights

PeppersMom

I am getting conflicting information for jump heights in Open obedience. According to my 2005 AKC rulebook unless I am reading it incorrectly, my Pepper who measures 11 3/4 inches at the withers should be jumping 8 inches. He also jumps 8" in Rally. My trainer says he has to jump 12" over the high jump not 8" He has never jumped 12 and I think its too high...does anyone know the correct answer?

The rules at the AKC site (Jan 06) seem to agree with your trainer:

Obedience Rules - Section 11. Retrieve over High Jump.

The minimum jump shall be set to the multiple of 2 inches nearest the height of the dog at the withers for all other dogs, with no dog jumping less than 8 inches or more than 36 inches.

There are some specific breeds that jump 3/4 of their height, but Cairns aren't among them. The 3/4 jump-height dogs are large or dwarf breeds. The nearest multiple of 2 for Pepper is indeed 12".

Somebody correct me if this is wrong!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Both of mine jumped 12 in open obedience, one 11, the other 11 1/4, they never had a problem with just the one jump. The problem is the broad jump, it's set at 24 inches, two boards with an inviting 8" space inbetween, so easy to just hop.

Linda

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

AKC says that he indeed has to jump 12 inches. Since he has only jumped 8 and 10, we have work to do! Other than that, he is ready to be shown in Open A...will keep you posted.

>The problem is the broad jump, it's set at 24 inches, two boards with an inviting 8" space inbetween, so easy to just hop.

If your dog can handle an extra four inches in the broad jump it may be worthwhile to go to three boards. The distance increases by four inches but the eight inch gap is now two two inch gaps and an eight inch board. Some dogs find it easier to jump a little farther if those big inviting gaps aren't there to hop through.

George

Archived