CairnTalk

Worms and Honey Butter...

Amber and the zoo

Well, the topic kinda says it all, but.........

Ellie and Gracie are in LOVE with the earthworms in our yard! They have dug up countless numbers and love to slurp them down as soon as they see me coming to take them away!!! If only they would spit them in a bucket, I could have a million dollar bait shop!!! lol

Last night we grilled out (as we do almost every night now) and I decided to make some honey butter for our rolls. Well, after dinner, Dan said he would put everything away while I took Emmy out for a jog in the stroller...never trust a man...lol (j/k) I forgot my cell phone so I ran back inside to find Ellie ON the table with the honey butter completely gone. I knew I should have just thrown it in the fridge before we left! She ate about 1/2 a stick. . .anyway, I looked her over...she seemed fine but I told Dan to keep an eye on her. When we got home, Ellie greeted us at the door and seemed fine. About 1/2 an hour later I smelled warm butter...ew, I know...and guess what...Yep, it had all come back up, in her kennel, on her pillow. It was so gross. I thought I might spew just cleaning it up.

She had a vet visit today--just a follow up and to get put on the flea stuff as they start to come out around here soon--and the vet said she was fine...just slickened things up a bit. lol

Cairns will eat the strangest things...!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, we have never had a mouse in my house as long as I've been here, but Ellie was digging in the yard the day before last and up she came with a big field mouse! At first I thought it was a mole or something, but nope...it was a mouse. Boy was she ticked off when I took it from her and threw it over the fence!!! She just kept barking like that would make it come back!!!

Amber

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Honey butter sounds yummy....don't know if I would eat all of it, but our Cairns sure would! DH had Scout and Finch with him when he visited friends at their farm. After dinner, he caught Scout up on the table finishing up the stick of butter! She didn't get sick, but I'm sure her tummy didn't feel well!

We have lots of worms here too. Scout and Finch like to eat them and Scout ROLLS in them....yuck!

A 1/2 stick of butter going out the way it went is a LOT better than the other type of effect it can have on a dog's digestion, if you get my drift :cry:

Izzie likes to eat worm, too -- the dead, dried-up variety. Grosses me out! But I guess protein is protein! Every time we walk, I must be saying "LEAVE IT!" about 50 times.

WOOF! Eli, here. The teen-alien ditched me and left me with the Alpha B and the olderthandirt dude. And the worms came out at the same time. So I emailed him that I would save him some, not to worry, and that I would put him under his pillow for when he returned. Do these uprights appreciate what we do for them? I think not.

WOOF!

Eli B)

Just be glad it is worms and not slugs. We have a cairn who thinks bananna slugs are the greatest possible treat.

Unfortunately, when you mix slug slime and guts with cairn hair you get a substance that, in the presence of water REALLY stinks and is about as easy to remove as dried concrete.

The only way to make her presentable again (smell-wise) is to strip out most of the hair on her muzzle!

(No, it doesn't wash out with any kind of shampoo we tried, and we've tried several over the years).

It's only getting worse now with all this rain! Tomq, maybe pour a little salt on them ;).

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

We've had some success getting slug-goo off using eye-wipes, strangely enough. Tom is quite right, the stuff is like some sort of superglue. It's also particularly charming when there are a bunch of pine needles stuck to the goo.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar