CairnTalk

Happy St Patty's Day

hallswel

We had a great time, met some really neat people!

We heard the bagpipes

post-291-1174232996_thumb.jpg

Then Sugar met a Frenchie

post-291-1174232982_thumb.jpg

A nice family wanted pictures with us

post-291-1174232969_thumb.jpg

And we had a good time!

post-291-1174233022_thumb.jpg

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Love the pictures. Where did you get the doggy kilts? Their great. Hope the dogs didn't partake in the green beer!

I am Irish and am applying for my Irish citizenship. (will have dual). My hubby and I went to Ireland last August and were heartbroken at having to leave Scruffy here. The have very harsh laws there and require animals to be quarantined for 6 Mons. Anyway, seems many people had Cairns there. A very popular breed. I found them to have shorter legs, longer snouts and fur was more course. One of the things we love about Europe is that dogs are such a part of everyday life. You see them in 5 star restaurants, malls, bistros etc. The dogs are all very well behaved. Something to be said for the Dog Whisperer as you do not experience the "Dr Phil" issues over there we have here. I know I really digressed from your St Pats day but I thank you for sharing your pics.

I am Irish and am applying for my Irish citizenship. (will have dual). My hubby and I went to Ireland last August and were heartbroken at having to leave Scruffy here. The have very harsh laws there and require animals to be quarantined for 6 Mons. Anyway, seems many people had Cairns there. A very popular breed. I found them to have shorter legs, longer snouts and fur was more course. One of the things we love about Europe is that dogs are such a part of everyday life. You see them in 5 star restaurants, malls, bistros etc. The dogs are all very well behaved. Something to be said for the Dog Whisperer as you do not experience the "Dr Phil" issues over there we have here. I know I really digressed from your St Pats day but I thank you for sharing your pics.

Ireland is part of the "Pet Passport" scheme in the European Community, so if you plan in advance you do not need to put a dog in quarrantine. You need to register with the scheme and then six months after rabies vaccine the dog is tested for immunity to rabies. If the tests come back that the dog is immune than you can bring the dog from the U.S./Canada/many other countries and then in and out of anywhere within the European Union without a problem. (The dog has to be microchipped as well.)

I am afraid that Ireland has a huge number of puppy mills. In fact, they have such an overpopulation of puppy mill dogs and strays that many of them are sent here to the U.K. to be adopted. I expect that the "long snouted and short-legged" Cairns you saw were either mixed breed or puppy mill dogs. Well bred Irish Cairns are like the Cairns in the UK - proper broad skull, no long snout, and longer (not shorter) legs than the typical U.S. Cairn.

Archived