CairnTalk

Allergic to my puppy?

Jeff N Oscar

We got our puppy 3 months ago. He is 6&1/2 months old now. I have had nasal congestion for over a month and a half now. I have never had allergies before and I have owned 3 cats long enough to know I am not allergic to them. I know I will have to see the doctor to discuss where I go from here with allergies, but what about my puppy? People do all sorts of things to live with there pets and allergies like frequent bath for the dog. I understand that bathing a Cairn should be limited at best. Does anyone else here have allergies from their dog and what sort of things do you do to make life more comfortable? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

I became a dog person AFTER I got my dog.

Bestfriends2-1-1.jpg

We got our puppy 3 months ago. He is 6&1/2 months old now. I have had nasal congestion for over a month and a half now. I have never had allergies before and I have owned 3 cats long enough to know I am not allergic to them. I know I will have to see the doctor to discuss where I go from here with allergies, but what about my puppy? People do all sorts of things to live with there pets and allergies like frequent bath for the dog. I understand that bathing a Cairn should be limited at best. Does anyone else here have allergies from their dog and what sort of things do you do to make life more comfortable? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

Hi:

I am allergic to just about everything including Cats & Dogs- I take Clartin D year round-

You'll need to see an allergist and get tested, that is the only true way to tell what you are allergic to. Allergies can also develop seemingly overnight to new things.

I have an electronic airfilter on our furnace/ac unit, a Hepa filter on the vaccum clearner and a carpet cleaner. My main allergy is Dust & Dust mites which I would have never known if not for the testing.

I think that regular grooming (hand stripping, brushing, combing) is the best thing you can do for your puppy-

Tracy, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Cairns are one of the breeds that are recommended for people allergic to dogs, but there is no such thing as an "allergy proof" breed.

I would have an allergy test before you decide you are allergic to your dog. Nasal congestion is usually not a sign of allergy. A runny, itchy, sneezey nose is more typical of allergies. So are skin reactions and watery or itchy eyes. Dogs are about the only animal I am *not* allergic to, thankfully. I am highly allergic to cats, any farm animal, my skin turns red and blisters if I touch a horse ... and the list goes on :mad:

In the meantime, I'd keep your puppy out of your bedroom for sure. You can also buy wipes for dogs that were developed for people with allergies. They sell them here in the U.K., so I assume the same type of thing is available in the U.S.

Edited by Cairnmania

Our son was born with allergies. He has his testing done yearly and it never gets better. He is now 12. Very allerigic to Eggs, nuts, seafood and the list goes on. Allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, mold, grass, tree's you name it.

After removing his tonsils/adnoids and sinus surgery he is 95% better. He was on a nasal spray, Advair, and Zyrtec all before surgery. Now, he is on Allegra mostly for outdoor stuff as there is nothing to do for the food allergies, we just have to watch food ingredients etc... When Brandon was born we had our first Cairn Missy, he never once was affected by her.

He did come up highly allergic to dogs and cats. Allergist knew that no way would I give her up plus I have allergies as well. Giving her up was not an option. She did say not to let the dog in his room. Now he is 12 we have another Cairn and he is fine. Cairns are one of the breeds they recommend for allergy suffers. Go to the allergist and see. Lots of times you are allergic to the outdoors. Changing of seasons, grass growing etc... My son when he is by my sisters two pugs, he needs his inhaler, eyes get itchy and his nose feels like bugs are in it from the itching. Hope your not allergic to your puppy. Now is a time when things start for allergy people so best to go to the allergist and get tested.

Good luck

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I find it hard to believe it is my dog because I am the person that has the dog all day. I pick him up all the time, play with him, give him "puppy massage" (he LOVES them). Shouldn't a person that is allergic sneeze and have a reaction within hours of contact, at the most. I am fine for days and then it starts again. Sneezing and congestion. I don't have any problem with my eyes being itchy or watery. The rest of my body is fine, it is just the nasal problem. Anyone I talk to lately says "do you have a cold" because of the way I sound lately. I have never had a cold that was off and on in this way.

I just wanted a heads up on any suggestions. Thanks for the information. I will see the doctor soon if doesn't go away.

I became a dog person AFTER I got my dog.

Bestfriends2-1-1.jpg

I would guess it's your allergies acting up with the change of seasons, etc. Doubtful it is your dog if you don't always have the reaction.

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

I've got non-allergic rhinitis and have the same symptoms as you. What's non-allergic rhinitis? It means the allergist tested me for all kinds of allergies and found out that I am allergic to nothing. Since they don't know what the problem is, they lump it into non-allergic rhinitis. I still suffer from the same allergy symptoms and few of the allergy meds seem to help much. As the years have gone by, I've found that they flair up most when the baromter makes a big change. My doctor confirmed that lots of people have the same reaction when weather changes.

Check with an allergist to verify that you really aren't allergic to something specific, then if he doesn't find it, just try to pinpoint other things when it flairs up. I was sure glad when I found out for sure that I wasn't allergic to dogs -- I'd just have to suffer because there's no way I'd get rid of mine!

By the way, DH is allergic to dogs (among other things) and had to take shots for years. As others have said, Cairns are one of the "non-allergic" breeds and DH does not have a problem with Packy. He does have to make sure he keeps his hands away from his face after he pets Packy, but he rarely has a problem with a dog in our house. Now our friends with Labs are another story...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney