CairnTalk

Barclay and the new baby Paisley...

Phillip

Hey guys!

I read the forums all the time but I seldom post. My wife and I adopted Barclay when he was only 4 months old back in September. He's grown up so fast and he's now topping out at 15lbs!!! Holy cow did he grow quick! We've been feeling lately that we wanted another one to keep Barclay company (a sister of sorts). I know that many of you have 2+ Cairns... so we have been keeping an eye out for any new pups that come through our local breeders.

I've been nervous for Barclay because although he's not territorial he's way too rough with other dogs - especially ones smaller than him. He doesn't know his own strength and plays pretty rough sometimes. He's also super excitable so when other dogs are around he can't help himself but to chase them and playfully lunge at them - nipping their ears, neck, feet - trying to get them to play back. He's great at the dog park (when he's not trying to kill a Chihuahua!) but does much better with LARGE dogs.

Wellllll yesterday was the day. We picked up 15 week-old Paisley (also a Cairn) and introduced them outside. He was his usual self - over-zealous and over-excited... he pounced her and she squeeked... but then she started to stick up for herself when she figured out he was all talk. Last night and this morning they got along OK - if you consider her barking and snarling at him occasionally getting along (albeit with probably cause). He backs off if we jab him or poke his neck while giving stern warnings (a la Cesar Milan) but stays 3 feet away panting wildly. He slept okay last night with her in the crate and she made it all the way through the night without so much as a peep.

Do you guys have any more suggestions that could help encourage friendship while allowing them to assert themselves as dominant/submissive?

~Phillip & Jaci (and Barclay and Paisley, too!)

congrats on your new baby. First question: Did you mean they were in the same crate sleeping? If so, you need to get the baby her own. They need their own space, plus she's too new for Barclay at this point and they could get into a scuffle and damage could be done before you even get into the crate.

I'm sure others will have lots of help for you. Just take a slow and be cautious for a while when they're together.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

We got Adrain about 3 months ago, she is 8 months old.. Rocky is 22 months old and although we watched them very closely in the beginning and now they get along great. They chase each other in the house the wrestle. There are times they get a little rough and we step in but they are friends and I can see them getting closer everyday. Adrian has graduated from the crate to our bed where we all sleep. The closeness will develop on it's own we feed them breakfast together in the morning supper we separate them to eat but I can take food from either of them. They are with Dad during the day and love to see Mom get home at night.

They are my kids..

Heavens no! Barclay was on our bed - Paisley's in her crate in our room... we wouldn't confine them together!!!

THank goodness!!!!! :thumbsup:

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Has Barclay been neutered? Duncan really calmed down with our other dogs about a month after he was neutered. The funny thing is, he has always been the calmest with our 13 year old 10 lb poodle. He is a lot wilder with the big dogs!

Yes we had Barclay neutered around 6 mos. of age. He's the same old pup he always was - fiesty and fun... he's just a bit over zealous. They got on well last night and we've crated them for today in different rooms... but she whines and he barks at the whining and then she barks at the barking and ... it's just never ending!

Any other tips?

Having two.... lots of WORK! I think most often times they establish their own dominance with each other on their own. When we first brought ours home we were certain Brystal was the stronger of the two - but Hollie quickly pulled ahead with her bully tactics and she is the leader out of the two. I wouldn't worry about them playing "too hard" we worried about that in the beginning two - but they really go after each other - it's impossible to cool their jets sometimes - and they let each other know when they've played too hard. Brystal has even had a few skinned paws from being tossed and scrambled on the patio concrete! It's enough to give us nightmares sometimes! But as small as Brystal is she's usually the one who starts it...

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Our good friends and neighbors just got a puppy to compliment their almost 2 y.o. dog. We loaned them our x-pen which they set up in the room they most commonly frequent. They put the puppy in the x-pen and left the 2 y.o. loose in the house (while supervised). She has reported to me that it has worked amazingly well. Both dogs can still sniff each other and be pals without any undue attacks on each other. Once Barclay realized that this if "for real" and that she's NOT going back where she came from... he'll probably warm up just fine.

Another thing you might want to try to work on with Barclay is the word "gentle". I know it sounds funny, but we started using that word with Darcy when she would try to snap treats our of our hands too hard. Darcy is VERY similar to how you described Barclay.... over zealous, over excited. She's the social director on the Love Boat. Anyway, when she has met new/young puppies, we use "gentle" with her a ton and she is always so sweet. It seems to work well.

Good luck with your new addition! I love the name Paisley!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

If Barclay sleeps on your bed I would keep Paisley crated in your bedroom, that's my tip. :-) It will keep Paisley quiet and also set a more equal footing between the two. I have always kept puppies in my bedroom with me and its worked out well with respect to their adjusting to a new home as well as with housetraining. ( It means if the puppy wakes up at night I take him/her outside to do what they need to do and then its back in the crate for the pup and me in bed.)

With regard to boisterous play, a young puppy needs to sleep - a lot. When you see Paisley getting tired, stressed or frightened pop her back in her crate for a nap. I would also make sure Barclay does not get over enthusiastic, if he does and you cannot slow him down a bit then you should separate them for a bit.

They will work out how far they can push each other - don't worry about it.

Archived