CairnTalk

How much freedom to you give your young Cairn?

Barney's Mom

Henry is 10 months old. He sleeps in his crate at night and stays in his pen (in the kitchen) when we're gone. I now let him have free reign of the house when we're home, but it's been gradual and a lot of training went into getting him well mannered. He does stay in his pen when we're home if we can't or don't want to somewhat keep an eye on him, though. It's just easier for me to not have to worry about him, and he seems to be content to be in his pen.

I definitely agree that all personalities are different. I really can't imagine him tearing anything up or stealing anything. He never goes for anything but his toys, and mostly lays around at our feet or in my lap. I've had one incidence of destruction, but that's it. He's a very calm dog and is very affectionate. I purposely chose a male because I hoped for his personality, and I lucked out. I have to make him get off of me and go play most of the time.

Bella is nearly 18 months so I thought it would be okay to answer this question.....she still hasnt grown up yet!

How much freedom do you give them in the house?

When home alone Bella has access to lounge,dining, kitchen, hallway and bathroom. All other rooms are shut. She always seems to widdle and poop on the bedroom carpets, hence why she is not allowed in there.

When we are home so can come in and out of the house as she likes and has access to our bedroom.

What do they do all day to occupy their time without getting bored and destructive?

Bella loves staring out the window so that keeps her busy for awhile. She is given a kong every day and various toys, which we change around so she doesnt get bored. She also is given bones, pig ears etc to chew to keep her busy. We leave the radio on for her. I find that if I dont walk her for a few days, or if we leave her alone for a few days due to working long hours, that is when she is naughty and starts chewing things she shouldnt.

My Napoleon has had free reign since he was about 7 months old, we work all day and he is not crated, we have another dog he is a mutt and they keep each other company plus 3 cats that he chases once in awhile, overall he is very good no major destruction or accidents in the house for a long time now. :innocent:

sheila and Misty

Misty has almost full range..The gameroom& laundry room are blocked. when we leave the house one day a week we leave her alone for about 6 hours. thats the day the kitchen garbage cans go in the bathroom and all bathrooms are shut as well.plenty of toys and bones and p-butter kongs in each room ..water food and extra snack bowl-toys spread out as well, tv on in one room and radio in the oposite side of the house. and lights in the 3 rooms se spends most time in. and a place to do her thing. (I know..I know..I cater to animals)

Misty is 6 months 1 week today. shes had free roam since 3 months.

This is probably working for me since I'm almost always home. up untill 3 months she was in the kitchen behind baby block gates. with occasional freedom to learn the words no not yours mommys or daddys. heres yours . as a toy is shoved in her mouth.

We have an occasional accident here and there but its usually my fault-not hers.she likes to get into my jigsaw puzzle if I dont keep an eye out -but shes learning I refuse to put it away!

I also think because I have had her since the very young age of 5 weeks old. she was very independent then and I just had to do a little extra cuddlingand bought her 2 large stuffed dogs to snuggle.

long way to go but at least traveling on the right road....oh. and she chose since her free roam to sleep with us untill we fall asleep, then she creeps away andsleeps on my spare room bed in the room where peanut my hamster sleeps.Then is back with us when we wake up.

After reading all these, I am convinced I have a problem dog..... The general concensus is that most people's dogs are pretty good and left a lot of freedom.

I think I need divine intervention.... :confused:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

sheila and Misty

Barneys mom-I wouldnt get so down. frustrated a bit yeah. But maybe your dog just needs to be weened very slowly..like maybe after a hard play walk or run, once he settles to relax leave for only 1 hour...then return or let him have freedom while hes in his tired mode and spread alot of things around that will be his to investigate and occupy himself with- it surely helped me. I had to put Mysty back in the kitchen twice before finally deciding I had enough gate hopping, because she got overwhelmed with the freedom and her aniety made her do crazy things she needed to get it a bit at a tme. luck to you.

Barneys mom, your last post made me chuckle. I have been reading all about Barney, the more I read, the more he reminds me of my much missed Little Missy. They both seem to have the same personalitys. They have the same ideas to snatch something then trying to get it back means a bite, they get very aggressive and posessive of what they have and no matter what, they wont give it up. I tried training classes with Missy, we got kicked out for her being to stubborn.

She was hard headed, very, and I mean very stubborn, dominate and aggressive at times. If she was sleeping and touched that would startle her and whoever was there would of been bit. I knew what triggered her, I knew the do's & dont's with her. We had no kids at the time. When she was 6 we had our son whom Missy adored, he could do whatever she would never go to bite him, that doesn't mean I trusted her. I always took precautions with her to family/friends etc...I do have to say that I knew there was some sort of issues with her from being a puppy mill and I had to give her the chance she deserved. If anyone else had her she would of been gone long time ago but I worked with her and never let my guard down with her and she lived 17 wonderful, happy years. I knew she disliked all other aniimals so another dog added could never be done. I knew Missys personality so well that it helped let her enjoy a full life. I excepted Missy for being Missy. She never injured anyone, we had no other dogs for her to attack, I basically left her life very simple, she was a sheltered girl due to her not so good socializing manners. :twisted: Hopefully Barney will come around. The good thing is he is in training. I hope Barney grows up to be a good boy!

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

My Cairn is 6 months old and I just got her 3 weeks ago. She is penned in the hallway/bathroom area with plenty of toys and chews when I'm gone and whenever I don't have time to keep an eye on her. As she improves on housebreaking, she's been allowed some time in the main area of my condo. At first, she ran around like a terror, but as the novelty is wearing off, she's getting calmer. She likes to chase my cats and chew on the cat toys, and I also have to worry about keeping her out of the cat litter box. The simplest solution is to only let her out when I can watch her like a hawk. If I'm watching TV or checking my email, she's behind her baby gate in her pen.

Kenna likes her Kong stuffed with treats. She also loves plush toys and balls. I was home yesterday, as it was a holiday, so I was able to see that she spent most of the day sleeping with occasional playing, so now I know what she does when I'm at work. I always take her for a walk before I leave for work, to get some energy out. We also go for a walk or to the dog park as soon as I get home.

Kileen

Barney's Mom-did you ever find out if anything might have been wrong with him from the Vet? I know you had an appointment, maybe I missed the post.

I don't think Barney is abnormal, just "set in his ways." :twisted: Once he sees that your ways are superior, he'll come around. :innocent:

Ellie is three years old now, and I still don't trust her much. If she gets bored she'll turn over the bathroom wastebasket and tear up tissue paper, and drag it all over the house. Other than when I go out to church, the store, violin lessons, or just running errands, I'm home most of the time, and she behaves fairly well, but as I said, if she gets bored, she'll get into trouble.

Archived