CairnTalk

Who owns a cairn rescue?

Greg P

I thought it might be fun to recognize the rescues that have loving homes from the Cairn Talkers. We all have our love of the breed in common and want good homes for our cairns and I think the rescues should be recognized. We owned an older rescue who lived with us for over 4 years in the past, and currently my son and daughter in law own a rescue boy who's a lot of fun.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I do! I knew little about Cairns, but had the opportunity to adopt a 4-year-old beautiful black brindle boy named Pepper, in 2003. Definitely still "owned by" as well as owning. :D

pam

We have a Cairn we adopted from the animal shelter. He's about 5-1/2 years old now (we guess), and have been with us for 3-1/2 years. He was a great first dog for us, as he came to us potty trained and house broken. He's the little guy in my avatar ... adorable little guy with humans, but not good with other dogs ... not socialized enough when young.

He's gotten progressively better with the work we've put in. But we have to be really careful when he's meeting other dogs, as he wags his tail as "bait" when he's reeling his "victims" in close enough for a bite. Quite a little stinker .. haha.

Sweet Pea is our rescue. I wish we could've rescued the rest of the pups that were

living in those conditions...hopefully when that breeder divested herself of the

business she found good homes for all.

Sweet Pea was a little over 4 years old when she came to live with us

last May 13. As many here on the forum know it was rough going for

the first two months because she almost immediately got it in her head

that Olie (our oldest Cairn, now aged 6) needed to be attacked

viciously at every opportunity. It took a trainer and lots of patience

to turn that one around.

Out of our three Cairns, Sweet Pea is still the one with a little bit of

the wild thing in her...maybe after all those years of living outdoors in a small

uncleaned pen. As an example, we've had bone-chilling temperatures here

for the last week. Olie and Teddy go outside to potty and want to come

back in immediately. Not so with Sweet Pea...she has to thoroughly investigate

the back yard, and then returns at her leisure. She's my dear

little girl and I love her utterly.

Thanks for asking; this is a good topic.

Tara, Proud Mom of Olie, Teddy, and Sweet Pea

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I rescued two cairns in the past, Buster and Ben. Both brothers, 11 years old at the time, and both obese as they had not been walked for over 5 years! One was also missing all his fur on his back.

It was one of the best things that I have ever done as the two of them gave me three years of love and fun. It was fantastic watching them getting fitter and enjoying life. Unforunately both died of illnesses attributed to having spent years being obese, but I was greatful for having given them some years of quality living.

I was lucky with both Buster and Ben as they had obviously been well trained as pups and were excellent around other dogs - they didn't even chase cats!

I would like to congratulate all those who continue to rescue, there is nothing better for an ill-treated or neglected animal to find happiness in their life. :D

post-2517-1171026514_thumb.jpg

We were so happy to have found our boy Bailey in October last year. We adopted him at a local animal shelter. He has been the perfect little boy, full of love for us! He'll be 2 this year in August. We are looking forward to many more wonderful years of his sweet face and lots of love from him! Darcy sure loves having a little brother and live-in play mate!

post-1052-1171086823_thumb.jpg post-1052-1171086931_thumb.jpg

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Sophie is my rescue...I've had her 16 months now.(wow time flies) She was a crumpled, starving ball of nerves and knew nothing about life outside a cage. She's now a fully integrated part of our family. Sophie often rules the roost, is often at cross hairs with the cats and always makes us laugh.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Susie is my rescue, she came from a family (when she was 6mths old) that had no time to spend with her and just left her outside alone.

We had a few dominance issues between her and Roxy at first, but now they are great buddies. She was pretty clingy for the first 6-7 months and wouldn't stay in a room by herself (she slept only lightly and would wake and follow me). The past month or so she must have realised that we aren't deserting her and will now sleep in other rooms away from us and is less clingy, although she is no way as independent as Roxy.

I'm so glad we got the chance to bring her into our family, I love her dearly and I can't imagine not having her.

ctdogs.jpg

What lovely stories from lovely people :wub:

All these little Cairns now have loving homes which they deserve so much :)

A great topic ;)

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Two years ago, when my Cairn was 10 years old, his family was no longer able to look after him. They made the appalling decision to take him to the Vet and have him euthanized. Despite their harsh wishes, and unknown to them, my lucky little guy found his way into Cairn Rescue and then to me!

He's now going on 13. He's the best behaved little gentleman; an affectionate, lively, loving companion. His new life is a gift to both of us...visits to the park along the river and local off-leash dog run 1-2 times every day, Trips to the country, regular medical care. He charms everybody who meets him.

I never owned a dog, (or a Cairn for that matter), before. I owe a great debt to Col. Potter Cairn Rescue and to this Forum for getting me off to the right start with the best info and support.

Thanks to them, I'm now a "forever" Cairn owner!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Lovely stories!

My son's rescue, Auggie spends a lot of thime with us. He is the happiest go lucky little guy. Here's his story.

Last summer the day before our cairn club fun day, a good lady rescued 3 cairns in an ematiated state from pet store. There were 2 girls and 1 boy. Our club took custody of them day before over 100 cairns came in for the event. These poor little guys were pathetic. Besides being starved, they could barely function outside of their box. You see, they were sold to the pet store at 6 weeks and from that time on, never saw anything except their box. They didn't know the outside, grass, sky.....they were so developmentally retarded that they didn't know how to negotiate a simple step on the stairs. We were particularly concerned with the little boy, Auggie. He was the shyest, seemingly totally withdrawn.

After 2 days of the cairns and the cairn people giving them plenty of attention, they started to come around....the boy at a much slower rate. My son and daghter in law were looking for a rescue. We called them and they came down to check them out. They also have a lab mix. The second Auggie saw the lab mix, he brightened up. It was like a switch. It was quite emotional and there were a few tears shed by bystanders as Auggie started coming to life. From that point, he's been a wonderful little guy. The main thing about him, is he's a happy dog....I've never seen a dog smile so much!. His coat is getting better. He's put on weight, of course. He gets in trouble occasionally with our cairns because he has a difficult time with boundary issues, but he's learning.

My son brought Auggie to our club's winter fun match. It was so fun to watch everyone gather around to see Auggie again. Another emotional moment as he hammed it up for everyone. Before our fun match, we brought brought the rescues in for a parade. He was one of the hits of the evening!

Auggie was just neutered last week. My son is applying for his ILP. This little guy is going to make a heck of an earthdog!

Here's Auggie now:

post-2067-1171152490_thumb.jpg

Keep the rescue stories coming!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

That is a wonderful story about Auggie......it is really heartbreaking the way some people treat dogs. One of our greyhounds had been crated for months - he hadn't raced at all. We got him at the age of two and he was very shy and withdrawn - obviously never been petted. We have had him for two years and he now loves to have his ears and belly rubbed and also loves being with the other dogs.

Greg and I adopted a Colonel Potter cairn rescue in May of 2005. Belle was 3 years old at the time and a former puppy mill breeder girl. She had never done stairs before, either, and we have lots of steps in and outside of our house that she now maneuvers like a pro (she's fast!!). Petey, our 2 1/2-year-old boy we've had since he was a puppy has been her mentor since they met. He was about 10 months old at the time, and they were at about the same stage in house-training...almost there. She is a great playmate for him. I remember vividly the day I saw her become a "real Cairn", as she hunted for chipmunks outside. It was like a light switched on in her also. I am so thankful to Colonel Potter for rescuing her and giving us the opportunity to adopt her. This forum has been such a great help and support to us also. Thanks guys!!

Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart is our rescue boy. He was backyard bred and given to a rescue group in Ohio at 8 weeks of age. I think about his mother everynight and hope that the woman that owns her FINALLY had her spayed. Angus is perfect. We picked him up at 16weeks of age and his foster mother had already house and crate trained him. He is sweet and affectionate. He loves children and other dogs. He loves other dogs so much I'm afraid one day he'll get his little head bit off. He runs right up to them wanting to play. He has slept with us since the first day we got him, weighing all of 6.5lbs. Now he's up to nearly 20 and he is a bed hog but I wouldn't have it any other way. He turned 1 year old on January 29th. He is learning all kinds of words, will go find "Pop" (husband) will go find a "toy", knows go for a walk, go out, breakfast/dinner (LOL!) and treat. What Cairn doesn't know that word?!? We are not new to terriers, but Angus is our first Cairn and I see many more in our future.

post-1469-1171206597_thumb.jpg

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

I do. Kipper came into our local animal shelter 5 years ago. He has been here ever since. We are his 4th owners. He is one instance where through people being dumb I got lucky! He was my first experience with this breed (After I always said I would never own terriers) and now I do Cairn rescue as well as terrier breed rescue. It is a strong addiction....

We currently have two foster Cairns as some of you know. They are Montrose and Seasaidh, both are wonderful dogs and are rapidly blossoming into well behaved pillars of the breed :confused1: Maybe someday anyways :thumbsup:

Thank you thank you thank you to all who loved on a rescued cairn. I am probably gonna become a foster in the near future for CP and I cannot tell you how much you are all appreciated by the rescue organizations and the beloved cairns you adopted! You're all awesome.

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

Alfie is a rescue! We saw his picture posted on a bulletin board in a dog shelter and luckily I was the first to call! We adopted him from a home that had two cairns. The previous owner let both of them rule the house. They both liked to escape multiple times and had to call the police on occasion to find them. Nellie, the other cairn, got run over but survived. She learned her lesson and doesn't like running out. Alfie, on the other hand, continued to rule and became too much for them to handle. They also did not believe in spaying/neutering (imagine if we didn't pick him up, Alfie and Nellie would have puppies by now). Anyway.....he was close to 1 year old when we had him, trained him, had him neutered....he is so well-behaved, house guests always comment on it. He's also our teenage son's best friend. We love Alfie to death. :wub:

Hi Everyone-

I just found this sight and read the stories about the other rescues and wanted to write and tell you about my Margie. I got her on Feb. 3rd in S. Carolina and it is amazing how fast you can fall in love with a little dog! She is totally delightful!!! I got her from Col. Potter's and will be forever thankful to that wonderful group of people who give so much of their time and love to ensure these dogs have a good life. Margie is between 1 and 2 years old and was found wondering in the street with another little Cairn named Bubba. She had a broken leg and spend 6 weeks in her crate while healing. Margie is a red brindle and she has the sweetest face I've ever seen. The first week she was home she was very quiet and subdued - she didn't play very much and vary rarely barked. Over the last 3 days she has just blossomed! She gets each of her toys out of her toy basket every morning and places them around the house. She loves to play with an empty water bottle and has discovered my only other pet - Rattie FiFi who she watches with great intensity. She loves to go on walks around the neighborhood and hasn't yet met a stranger. Sometimes when I am working at my desk in my office she comes over and yips and snaps her teeth together and then she will gently pull the edge of my shirt if I don't pay attention. What she wants is to sit in my lap for a few minutes for cuddles and love. I will never be able to give her what she has already given me. elle

Elle,

What a nice way to introduce yourself to Cairn Talk. Welcome!

Greg and Val Perry

All of you that have rescued I give my utmost respect. Reading these stories brings tears to my eyes. And, I know these are just a cup full of stories in an ocean of mistreatment and abuse. Either intentional (greed) or that of ignorance. Please know that you are saluted!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Hi all, I wanted to try to post pictures of our little pack here, so here goes. From right to left.

Seasaidh is the little black brindle blur, she is a puppy mill rescue and has spent 4.5 of her near 5.5 year life in cage. She had a lot of fear issues when she came to us about 4 months ago but she has made so much progress here it is truly unbeliveable. She is super sweet and super clingy (to me and no one else) :innocent: We have really come to enjoy her and watch her learn how to live in a good and loving home.

Kipper is my handsome little red guy that I adopted from the animal shelter almost years ago. He will be 10 in April! He is the undisputed ruler of the world, just ask him he will tell you........ :twisted: When I first saw him at the shelter I said, "huh....THAT is a Cairn?!??!" He needed a good grooming and I took him home to help him with his marking issues since that was supposedly why he was re-surrendered to the shelter. We are his fourth owners and feel very fortunate in this instance for some people's stupidity :thumbsup: because we got a great dog that we otherwise wouldn't have ever thought about, and that is how I began my love affair with the Cairn terrier.

Montrose is the beautiful little grey brindle on the end he came from a breeder in Ill. He is a total goof ball and he brings new meaning to the phrase "food motivated". He is learning how to be a gentleman in a house and he is trying really hard. He has been here since just a few days before Christmas and has also made a lot of progress in that time.

Both of our fosters are from CP, we have been fostering for them since Sept. It is unbelivable how many Cairns are in need out there guys especially from these mills. Think about fostering if it would fit your lifestyle. It is totally rewarding work!

post-1325-1171645470_thumb.jpg

Your dogs are so beautiful and what great and memorable stories to go along with each of them.

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

To answer the question as to whether or not there's a cairn rescue in any particular area, the Cairn Rescue League and Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network are both national rescue organizations. There's also Cairn Terrier Club of America/CTCA Rescue, and many/most of the regional CTCA clubs do rescue as well.

I'd also like to let everyone know that there's also a yahoo group called RescuedCairnOwners. It's inactive at the moment, but I'd love to get it going again. It's just a list where owners of rescued cairns can share their joys, trials, and tribulations. If you're interested in joining, just send an email to RescuedCairnOwners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Archived