CairnTalk

Cold Weather Issues

Tracy A.

Hi All:

Well Winter came back this week. We have snow on the ground and it's 6 degrees here! They boys have been fine until yesterday, I took them out around 6pm it was 10 degrees and Mett starting pulling is back left hine leg up- He tried to limp a few steps not using it, but then just sat down in the snow.

I had to carry him back in, inspected his paws and could find nothing. So i'm left to assume that we've hit his cold limit at 10 degrees. Friday night after work we took a walk at 15 degrees and he was fine. Bratt is having no issues, and a great time.

I am carring Mett out to the back yard under some of our pine trees where no snow is, and he does fine walking around for potty....

I recall a discussion of some cheap doggy boots a few forum members were buying.... I can't recall where now- and could not find it when I searched the Forum.

I don't want to spend a ton on boots that he may refuse to walk in- And I can't keep carring him around for Potty time.... besides, they need a walk 2xs a day, even if its jsut a short one....otherwise I they are both in 'shopping for something to destroy mode' about the house. Anyway I feel guilty if they don't get at least 1 walk in a day...

Poor little Mett didn't make it to the end of the driveway last night when he started limping.... Our weather is going to stay cold for at least the next week-

so if anyone recalls where to get the cheap doggy boots, pleease reply....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Scout hates the snow too and if it's really cold (like it is today) she refuses to walk in the grass. I bought Scout some boots at Target. They were on sale for 8 dollars. I also have used baby booties too. I bought these at Target (maybe I spend too much time here? LOL) for a dollar and then bought some velcro tape (it comes in a roll). These worked well too. Scout does not like to wear these boots, but she will keep them on long enough to do her "business".

We keep trying shoes/booties on ours - they just will have none of it - and I wish they would - a couple days ago it was -14 and we had to find a way to potty - they are only out there for bearly seconds and then would freeze up. We were lucky to get them to tinkle but going poo was a whole different matter... we just are right there to pick them up immediately and dry their feet - even with temperatures that low - even if we could get them to wear booties I think they'd shut down right away...

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Now I KNOW I have the most neurotic Cairn on the planet....It has been in the single digits for over a week, and I can't get Barney to COME IN!!! He always wants to stay outside and bolt around and eat rabbit poop and bark at the neighbor's dog (who is inside the house, BTW!) etc. etc. I bundled up and took him for a 20-25 minute walk this afternoon. It was 9 degrees, for Pete's sake! He just trotted along, happy as a clam while I am about to freeze solid! And when it's time to go in he does that "put on the breaks" routine!

Like I said before, he has issues!! :whistle:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Now I KNOW I have the most neurotic Cairn on the planet....It has been in the single digits for over a week, and I can't get Barney to COME IN!!! He always wants to stay outside and bolt around and eat rabbit poop and bark at the neighbor's dog (who is inside the house, BTW!) etc. etc. I bundled up and took him for a 20-25 minute walk this afternoon. It was 9 degrees, for Pete's sake! He just trotted along, happy as a clam while I am about to freeze solid! And when it's time to go in he does that "put on the breaks" routine!

Like I said before, he has issues!! :whistle:

Nah he's just young. Mett & Bratt were the same way last year.... but comming up on two the snow/cold isn't as fun as it was last year.

I had this problem several weeks ago when it as like highs in the teens if we were lucky and Kipper's feet started bothering him after playing in the snow for a while. I have never bought them boots but I know a friend of mine got some at a store in town here for not very much and if you really wanted to be cheap you could put some baby socks on him and then like a little sandwich bag and fasten it at the top. That might work for short trips outside or whatever but even the boots won't stay on real well if you are walking or playing in them...........stay warm

It's been really cold here in WI, and Kirby has hit her limit at -15 degrees, with a -40 degree windchill. She's a year, and born at the end of January-so I think she's my little snowbunny. I did wonder when she would start feeling the cold-and dangerous lows has been the answer. Figures :confused:

Lots of trips to Petsmart when there are other pooches has been the order of the day, just so she gets SOME exercise in. Otherwise, a 20-min walk, tops.

Go back to Canada cold weather! (No offense to any Canadians)

I wish my two would mind the cold. Neither of them seem to realize that it is cold out. Single digits and minus something (I don't look) wind chill. For mine age has nothing to do with it. They are five and nine years. Both are perfectly happy to just investigate what grass they can find and maybe, finally do their business. :P

All the four cairns that I have had have loved the cold. Snow and fost are a favourite! Lots of snuffling around, rolling in it, digging, chasing etc. We're due snow here in the UK tonight and I can't wait for my morning walk. It'll be great to start the day with a big smile!

I have seen people walking with their dogs smothered in coats and with boots, but only for short distances. Not sure how effective boots are and whether you'd managed to keep them on.

I'm glad to hear that mine is normal then, i was beginning to worry because I have read here how much some cairns love the snow and cold weahter, but since Winter finally decided to show its face here in NY, the last few days its been brutally cold, and Napoleon keeps lifting one of his hind legs after being out for only a few minutes, he does fine walking on the pavement.

Hooray we got snow in the UK! :)

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Well I thought i'd give an update. I ran around to a bunch of different stores like Target looking for cheaper booties without luck. I ended up having to buy $17.00 booties (the only ones I could find) for the boys...that's 17 a set... Which didn't stay on for an entire walk..... We also lost one somewhere along the way.... It was an interesting exercise in futility.

When I lived in Anchorage my cairn wore a coat in the winter but not booties. Somewhere around -20 he would begin to refuse to go out but anything warmer he was game for. Because there was salted walkways I worried about his feet and would check for cracks but the pads always looked good. We liked to go watch the start of the Iditarod sled dog race and many teams wore booties which you could see flying off along the trail here and there. I bet there is some cheaper source for those things or the mushers would go broke getting to Nome.

Archived