CairnTalk

Puppy love...

Amber and the zoo

When we decided to get a dog, I researched and researched and finally decided on the Cairn and, of course, got Ellie-Whiney. My boyfriend and I live together, but the responsibility of the "dog" was supposed to be mine, according to him, because he didn't want a dog in the first place. Funny thing is, over the last months she has become "his" dog. He sleeps with her curled up next to him...he takes her with him on runs to the post office and bank, etc...he lets her lick him all over the face...I think he would share his ice cream cone with her if she begged hard enough! He even calls her his "furry daughter"! --YET, he still said that she is "my" dog and he doesn't have any emotional attachment and it wouldn't break his heart if we never got her.

Last week I was having a really hard day...found out my identity was stolen...Emmy was sick...the other kids were all hyper...and then it happened--Ellie pooped on the floor. Not only did she poop on the floor, but then proceeded to tear up a paper plate (with leftover spaghetti) that she got from GASP the garbage and pull it through the poop and drag it every which way. At this point I was just so worn down and so upset, I called my bf and in a tearful angry fit told him I wanted to get rid of Ellie-Whiney and I was calling my friend to come get her right away. He made me promise not to do anything until he got home. By the time he got home from work, I was cooled off and no longer wanted to "get rid" of Ellie...lol...but, because I am such a brat, I thought I would see just what my bf would do.

The convo:

ME: Honey, I just can't take it any more. She pooped on the floor...she chewed up stuff all over the place...I'm just tired of this nonsense.

HIM: Amber, this was your decision. YOU wanted to get the dog and thus excepted the responsibility for her. You are the one who told me there would be hard times and accidents. She is your dog and your responsibility.

ME: I know honey, and because she is my responsibility, I want to give her to my friend. I can't handle it anymore and she is just causing too much stress. My friend is much more suited to own Ellie and doesn't have a bf who hates dogs. I know its not an issue since you didn't want a dog in the first place and you don't have any emotional attachment! (I was pushing it ;))

HIM: But Amber, you chose Ellie. She was YOUR decision. You can't get rid of her.

ME: Why? I just can't handle it anymore...

HIM: Amber, you can't just buy a puppy and then let us all fall in love with her only to get rid of her.

ME: Fall in love?

HIM: Okay, yes. I love the little girl. Yes...does that make you feel better! I love her too!

FINALLY! ha ha ha. Although I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing because now I think he gives ELLIE more attention than me! :)

Just wanted to share how these lil' pups come into our lives and totally change them--for the better! :)

~Amber and the zoo

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Ah, but will he be helping out more? That's the question.... Work on him some more and you'll get help!

(My husband left all the puppy rearing to me, but I taught Mett and Bratt to tag team him for Walks while i'm not home....lol 'Go get Daddy' is the que)

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I guess I'm really lucky - as Chris pulls most of the load with the girls - he's the one who gets up in the middle of the night for potty trips, feeds them so I can sleep an extra hour - gets home before I do and unwinds them .... Chris spoils all three of us... )

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Oh, he feeds, waters, cleans up after her etc. There's no doubt about that. And he ALWAYS takes her out to go potty if he's home. It was more of the "love" thing he thought was my responsibility...although I knew he loved her from the first time he saw her! Oh, and it was just me and Emmy in the house when Ellie came to live with us so it was really all of us in the house wanting her. lol

That's a very cute story - glad he is in love her as well. Such a unique thing about dogs (especially Cairns) - it's instant love. Enjoy your little girl - they grow up soooo fast.

no matter how bad they are I can never stay mad at them they are just too sweet :wub::hug:

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Scruffy came form a mill ( no lectures please). She was very fearful initially from everyone grabbing her out of her crib. Fearful dogs tend to only bond with one owner and that was me. We had just lost a dog after 17 years that was attached to my husband at the hip. I felt, as did he, quite awful that Scruffy never really bonded with hubby. Next chapter is Squirt joins our family 3 weeks ago. Squirty if fearless and loves loves loves my husband. My husband is 65 and looked me in the eye the other night and told me he was happier than he had ever been in his entire life. (I think I was part of the reason.....) The last chapter is now that Scruffy has Squirty, she has lost many of her "issues" and now will not leave my husbands lap and we are one big happy "puppy" pile. It is somewhat obscene.

Angus was pictured on Petfinder when I found his adorable puppy face. At the time our Wheaten Bailey was in his last days with kidney disease. I pulled up Angus' photo showed it to hubby and he had a melt down. "NO WAY" A few days later after I applied to Resq, I showed him Angus again, spewed all the good qualities of Cairns, etc. Hubby was weakening. But still NO WAY, he didn't want a little rat dog! He wanted a man sized dog! By the following week, with our beloved dog failing fast it was a done deal! Now he coos to Angus, "I'm so glad I picked you!" "You're the cutest dog ever!" "You're the Best Dog ever!" MEN! (no offense guys!) Here's Angus puppy shot that appeared on Petfinder, and on Monday Angus will turn 1 year old. (he's the one on the left) and yes, he is the best dog ever!

:wub:

post-1469-1169997106_thumb.jpg

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

When I got Jack it was ME who didn't "know" I wanted a dog! I used to be a flight attendant so I was out of town 3-4 days a week so a dog was never an option (being single).

When I quit flying, I knew I wanted a pet (since I was finally home every night and had a normal life!) but I went out looking to adopt a cat! Can you believe I thought I wanted a cat??!?!?!!???

I saw Jack in a pet store (I know....puppy mill puppy. If I had been more educated at the time, I would never buy a puppy from a pet store, but I wouldn't trade him for the world!) and didn't get him because I "wanted" a cat, even though I thought he was the cutest puppy I'd ever seen! I spent two days looking at shelters for a cat and I kept thinking of that cute little puppy at the pet store. The next day I called the pet store and they told me "Jack" was still there (yes, I'd even named him already!). I went right then and there and bought him!

The rest is history.....Sometimes we even surprise ourselves at how much love we can have for something we didn't even know we wanted!

Jack's Mom

My beloved bride was the one who wasn't overly fond of dogs (dedicated cat person), after my early medical retirement she decided I was spending entirely too much time alone however and encouraged my finding one. Our little Guster (the thief of hearts) has given her a whole new mind set, he greets her every evening with his favorite toy for "hallway fetch". He follows whichever one of us is up at the time where ever we go around the house. He's great with the kitties (big plus).

Yesterday while she was sitting on the floor throwing the toy down the hall she grabbed him and snuggled him up, then she said "he's the first dog I've ever loved". Cairns have that effect on you. It was a real special moment to me so I understand your feelings Amber.

We have 5 cats a dog and a large lizard. Animal care falls under my purview but it's by choice, I love it.

I think about spring I'll broach the topic of a another Cairn puppy, then about July'ish I'll tell her about the new snake. Gotta get a snake, I'm reliving my childhood. Fortunately I'm blessed with a most tolerant and understanding wife I believe my taking care of all the critters helps to that end, that and the fact I love to cook.

I agree with Brad about all parties agreeing to the new family member however, pets are a major and long term commitment and they indeed deserve a commitment by all involved. Wouldn't life be boring without them though?

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Well in my house Rebel is everyones dog, all of us say he loves us best...I think I am his favorite but sometimes I think it is my oldest son. Then Hammurabi the pug is my dh's dog but he really is mine, he follows me everywhere. Sugar is a Daddy's girl and Harley can't be still enought to be anyone's dog.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Yes, Dan now tries to say Ellie loves him more...etc, etc...yet it's me who trips over her constantly when she is running circles under my feet!!! She is great and I think she added such a great dynamic to our house. I was worried with Emily only being 3, but they are just like sisters now...they both learn to roll with the "punches" and snuggle up close! I love these girls :)

My hubby is really great with my dog habit. Although I don't think he knew fully what he was getting into when we got married (I only had one dog then :innocent: ). He takes care of them really well when I am gone. He did such a great job when I was at a show for 4 days, he took care of all 5 dogs that includes the two fosters and one of them is a real handful. He was such a trooper and he didn't want to shoot me when I got home!

His parents were not "dog people" when we got married and they never had pets growing up and now they have a German Shepherd that they adore!!! She comes in the house and gets really pampered. Dogs were NEVER allowed in their house before this one, I guess my habit tends to rub off a bit on those around me........oh well at least it is in my favor! :thumbsup:

Archived