CairnTalk

Agility ?

Deb

My DW won't let the dogs on equipment unitl their growth plates have closed, which is well after one year. Other basic training can be done however.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I am also considering agility training for Billy. He is 7months old today. When we take long walks into the woods I am amazed by his agility and balance. I think he may love agility training, if he can get over being so enamored with other dogs and new people. There is a private agility course on the other side of town that I beleive we could use with permission, so I am very happy to see the response to your question about the appropriate age to start this kind of training. What kind of growth plates are you talking about? Are these crainium growth plates? I had no idea.

These little guys have to stay engaged with focus and productive activity in order to keep them occupied. I am finding that with just a little effort at focused activity daily they make exceptional pets and companions.

Thanks to all out there, I have learned so much about raising this pup and avoiding a lot of pitfalls.

Sally

See if you can find an agility club near you and if they have a puppy agility class. It's true no jumping until after the growth plates are closed, but puppies can learn the low equipment on leash, tunnels, and learning to go between jump uprights with the bars on the ground. My club is starting a puppy work time this week, because there are about 10 of us that have new puppies, but we are all handlers that have trained agility dogs. If you haven't previously done it, get some help, a mistake could make the puppy fearful, or just take a long time to correct. If you can't find a puppy class, ask about a beginner's class and tell the instructor that you have a puppy ____ age and you realized there will be some things you can't do yet.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Thanks so much for the info. We will be doing puppy kindergarten and then moving on, I was just curious about the jumping aspect. thanks again. Deb

Max and I are starting agility class tomorrow night. He's going to 1 yr. on Feb 8th. It's on leash in the beginning. I really do not know a whole lot about it. It is a beginners class with very little equipment at first. I've already done a basic obedience class and was going to continue with that but thought we might enjoy the agility. Tomorrow night will tall the tale. I've been told that there is a jack russell terrier enrolled in the class so at least I won't be alone in the terrier breed! The obedience class was mostly golden retreivers and boy did Max and I look bad compared to them.

You will have fun. The biggest problem as a teacher that I have seen is, people come to class thinking just cause their dog can jump and run, that they will immediately be out there running courses, like they see on TV. The basics are unfortunately alot more boring, but necessary for safety sake. Take lots of treats and toys, there are no negatives in agility. I even know of some seminars where if you say the word "no" you have to pay a fine.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

• 2 weeks later...

Generally the rule is age 2 when growth plates are mature and all that. Especially for large breeds, but for the little guys as well. I only take mature dogs on the equipment.

Archived