CairnTalk

bradl

bradl

Terrier Association of Oregon had a B Match today (a very casual type of fun match). Dundee won Best Cairn Puppy and overall Puppy Group Three; being the only veteran at the whole match meant Haggis won Best Veteran by default.

Yesterday was Haggis' birthday - he is now a sprightly 15. The judge was surprised and complimentary on Haggis jaunty movement.

Dundee was a pill, but a cute one. In the picture below the boys share a moment on the table waiting for the Cairn's turn in the ring. In the second picture Dundee is not enjoying wearing his ring-toy prize that he received for winning one of his classes.

h&d.jpg

dundee-ring-toy.jpg

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Ok Bradl.... I love Dundee :blush: What a lovely looking boy.

You must be so proud of Haggis. We all want our dogs to reach this age and still be so healthy!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh look how quick they grow up! Thank you for letting me hold him and have a quick fix of puppy breath while he was still a baby. He seemed like he was going to be a mellow guy but you never know. He has the cutest face, very photogenic! Love the coat colors too.

Dundee looks a little sweetie and I love Haggis's pants! He looks very healthy and it's good that they get on so well.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

• 5 months later...

I mentioned in a status that I'd groomed Haggis (aged 15) and he looked younger. Unfortunately I didn't take any "before" pictures so you'll have to take my word for it. Also unfortunately, the following pictures need some excuses and hand-waving. I've already explained that I'm a criminal groomer, so there's that. Haggis was so far gone that he had dead coat over 8 inches long in some areas (particularly around his haunches). He's been clipped a bit in the past, so his coat is almost 100% dead, so you can see patches of undercoat through the sad remnants of his outer coat. Further, the weird patch near his hindquarters is a remnant of where he was shaved to ave a benign growth removed in the latter part of last year. (Plus he wears a belly band around the house so that gives him "pants hair" - similar to my "hat hair" :P ) Anyway, enough excuses.

hg1.jpg

hg3.jpg

hg2.jpg

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

He is "distinguished" as an elder gentlemen ought to be Brad! I can tell you, as an elder gent myself, that hair comes in patches, is often less than shiny, we are often marked with off color nicks and bumps, and can never be trusted to "deposit" where we are supposed to--piping valves wear out, you know. While I don't wear a belly band yet I can see it coming. Yeah, and we don't put up with young pups like we used to.

Beautiful pictures of your old boy, love the black stockings and the still perky aspect. Senior Cairns have a panache that's hard to beat-old, old souls in a dog that has plenty of soul to begin with. Thanks for the update.

Hey Brad - Haggis is looking great! I too have a 15 year old (westie...shhh) and have a very special spot for our seniors even thou they can be somewhat grouchy and no patience for the four legged kids. We love them anyway. What I do find is even in their senior years people are amazed how alert and youthful they can be. I have heard so many times with our previous cairns that they never would have guessed their age. I just hope people will say that about me when I'm...ugh. Let's not go there :(

Thanks for sharing and hope Haggis got plenty of treats for his patience.

Great pictures Brad, so happy to see them. Max had a growth removed from almost the same place, just a little closer to the tail. It healed up quickly though, the vet was surprised at how fast. Dundee is so cute, so many colors in such a little package.

That second shot - is that little Dundee giving Haggis a kiss? Adorable.

Allie's only 13 so not quite as old as Haggis, but she shares the same gray over black on her shoulders, and some of the red brindle still underneath. I tell Allie she is still quite beautiful, and you can tell Haggis for me I think he is still wonderfuly handsome.

Hey, my hubby is balding too, but I think he looks terrific!

Oh Brad - they are both beautiful dogs. The elderly pooch is a beautiful color with his black stockings. The younger pup is absolutely adorable. How old is Dundee? Love the black mask.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I think Haggis is a very handsome gentleman and his colouring is great for his age, also love the colouring of Dundee.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brad I love your new kid!!! I have been busy so haven't checked the site in a while. Give all your kids a treat from me!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

• 2 months later...

Since it's Echo's birthday (10) thought I should probably at least post a pic or two. Sadly today's pic is just a low-light phone snap:

e10.jpg

Here's Echo 10 years ago, at 4 weeks. Her nickname at the time was "Hagatha" because when she was whelped she was biggest, lastest, and loudest. But that face :wub:

bis30.jpg

And since last week was Stella's 7th birthday, here's mom Echo when the Junior Mint was just a wee bite:

e&s.jpg

Echo was a very playful and "educational" dam and she loves to wrassle with a pup - these days she treats Dundee like a trainee, as if he were her own. She plays with him more than anyone, willingly and often.

She's the spitting image of her mother. What great pictures. I love to hear a 10 year is still loving life and her little brother.

Echo is such a beautiful girl! I love how the cairns don't show (or act) their age. I love that last photo -- that is so great. Thanks for sharing.

What great photo's and Echo is beautiful, I particularly like the last photo. The one where she was 4 weeks old is just precious!

Happy Birthday Echo and thank you for bringing such Joy too many!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Idaho Cairns

Beautiful dogs but I am confused--the first and second pictures depict a cinnamon colored Cairn and the last shows a pair of silver dogs? Now I know that Cairns change their color but that much????

Yes indeed. Although some of the difference is accounted for by sunlight vs indoor, exposure, different camera color profiles etc.

The fact is that Echo has been auburn, red, a sort of rust color, a kind of reddish-beige pancake color, now a reddish brown. My favorite color lasted less than a year when she was a sort of rich burnished mahogany color. It was an unusual and striking color. I was showing her at the time and the coat was being worked, so it eventually worked itself through to a more conventional red brindle.

Her jacket (not shown in yesterday's phone-snap) is fairly short at the moment and has so much new age-related sliver/gray/white ticking beginning to appear that I suspect she'll probably trend towards silver and black (with a reddish undercoat) by the time she reaches Haggis' age.

Also worth noting, the 'silver' example in that mother-daughter picture is during a period when she was not being shown and her coat was mostly dead. You can see that it is a half-dead mess by the way it hangs in separate clumps (because the half dead coat is all one length, instead of varying lengths). Dead coat is usually quite washed-out looking compared to a vibrant live coat. Stella on the other hand is still a sort of cream-silver brindle, but now with black socks. :P