CairnTalk

The Stare Down

Darcy's Folks

Darcy and Bailey do the funniest thing... they stare each other down from across a room, or even from separate rooms. As long as they can make eye contact the stare down begins. They freeze in place and simply stare each other down. It's almost like a cowboy movie - a stand off of sorts. I'm just waiting for one of them to pull a toy gun out of their doggy holster. When they assume this stare down, I always do that famous whistle tune from Dirty Harry :whistle: (at least I think it's from Dirty Harry). But no kidding, these two will have a stare off for minutes on end. We can walk in front of them, around them, touch them... whatever. They DON'T move! Then the first to flinch after many minutes usually starts the "doggy races" around our house or the battle of knawing at each others legs. I'm curious to know if any of your dogs do this to one another.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

yeah angel usually does it when shes defending our bed when Scotty wants on the bed too

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Mett and Bratt do this too, but they only stare for a min or so.... I do the clint eastwood spagetti western whisle too... LOL

Then the boys launch into sound effects, that are some what Tasmanian Kung Foo fighter in nature...LOL

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

My two do a stare down too.. usually over a toy or chew stick though. If Ollie has "it" Izzy will start with this little puppy whimper sound, it's so funny, and Ollie will make the Tazmanian devil sound. They do it over and over again. Then sometimes I've watched where Izzy will actually get Ollie's attention elsewhere and when Ollie takes her eye off of the "it" Izzy snatches it and runs. I love having two and watching them play.. they are our nightly entertainment for sure!

kasey

The stare-down phenomenon gets even more complicated with three. Sometimes

I can't tell who's wrestling with whom. :D

Tara, Mom of Olie (who had his 6th anniversary yesterday), Teddy, and Sweet Pea

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

We have the "stare down" too.....but it only lasts a few seconds.....and then the race begines!

Scout and Finch do the same thing that Kasey described......you snooze....you lose....the bone!

Max will growl and do the stare-down with me when he is guarding something. After about a minute he looks away but continues to guard the pillow or shoe that the has. I've tried everything but he just won't be submissive. I think he must be the most stubborn dog in New York!

Brystal usually starts the stare downs in our house - she crouches down in attack mode - while Hollie lays completely flat across from her. Hollie gives that look like bring it on little pee wee... because she knows she'll win... and Brystal always leaps for her after a minute or two- then the race is on to see who can catch who first...

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

The tune you are whistling is from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with Clint Eastwood. Catchy tune, but boy is the movie a yawn in my book. The best thing about it is we can use the song for our Cairns!! :whistle:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I had a feeling Dirty Harry wasn't right. Thanks for the correction. And yes, the absolute best part of it is the song can serve as most all Cairn's theme song!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Archived