CairnTalk

Blue Buffalo food from Petsmart...Anyone tried it?

Barney's Mom

Well, as much as I love Canidae dog food, I am getting weary from paying upwards of $20 dollars in shipping to get it to my house. So while at Petsmart the other day, I saw a holistic dog food called Blue Buffalo. Has anyone seen this dog food and tried it? I looked at the ingredients and they seemed pretty good.

Here's the ingredients page from their website:

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs_puppies.shtml

Barney seems to be doing fine with it, and seems to love the taste. Well, he loves the taste of anything! :whistle:

If anyone knows any pros/cons to this food, please pass it on!

Thanks!! :)

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Let me preface this by saying that I am no expert on food. I don't know if Barney has any issues with food or weight but I did notice that the amount of fat in the food is fairly high compared to Canidae and other brands (17%). Because Savannah has pancreatis (prob spelled wrong) I have to be very careful with the fat in her food. Regular Canidae is 14.5%, the lamb and rice formula is 12.5% and the low fat formula is 8.5%. Because she has not been enthusiastic about eating lately, I figured that she was tired of Canidae (she has been on it over a year straight) so I got a bag of BlackWood food (low fat formula) from our natural foods store to switch things up a bit. Do you have any kind of natural food store near you? I would probably trust anything that I could get from a natural foods store over a chain store. That is where I found Savannah's Canidae. They also have a bunch of other brands there too.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Most feed and seed farm stores carry Canidae.

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

I am a big fan of hollistic/organic brands and first let me say I'm glad Petsmart is trying to move in that direction - however it still contains some things I wouldn't feel comfortable with feeding. The ingredient that concerned me most is the vitamin K supplement. Here is a link on the possible side effects and warnings associated with that supplement

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

We fed Currey Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice Puppy Formula for a while. He liked it very much, and it is on the Whole Dog Journal's list of "approved" foods - and is one of the ONLY foods available at the big chains on the list. We switched from that to Canidae when he was about 8 months mostly because I found that I could buy Canidae for just about the same price at a small privately owned business about a mile from my house rather than driving 20 minutes to the nearest Petsmart so it is more convenient and I get to give my $$ to a small business person AND get the dog's toenails cut at the same time I buy food! The only major difference I could point out between the two foods is that his poops were a little smellier and softer with Blue Buffalo. If I couldn't get Canidae locally, I'd feed it again. Also, in response to the note that savannahsmom35 made regarding fat cotent - you posted the info for the Chicken Formula, but I think that the Lamb Formula and Fish Formula are lower in fat.

Jodi

Also, in response to the note that savannahsmom35 made regarding fat cotent - you posted the info for the Chicken Formula, but I think that the Lamb Formula and Fish Formula are lower in fat.

You are probably right but they don't offer those varieties in my area so I don't know for sure. You can probably look up the fat content of these online.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

• 9 months later...

man old topic but im a newbie around here. but did a search on blue, and man i ill tell yall if you aint use'n blue buffalo co. fish and sweet potato recipe, you should its one of 3 best sittin on the shelves and its definetly #1, in proper vitamins, nutrients for our cairn. if any one knows a better bag let me know. ya i know its $$$.

savannahsmom35...

My Madison had pancreatitis also and I found the Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken to have excellent ingredients and a lower fat content. Our local Petco started to carry it a few months ago and Maddy loves it!

I also add a pinch of their Sea Meal to her food every once in awhile.

That's the food we feed ours. We started with the lamb and rice, but it didn't sit well with Jazz, so we switched to the Chicken and Rice. They did gain a 1/2 pound each, but it has stabilized, and we monitor their food intake. They love it and its affordable for our family budget.

Archived