CairnTalk

Cairns and Water

Darc

I was wondering if Cairns like water. We are re-fencing for the new addition to make the yard as puppy proof as we can. We have a small creek that runs along one side of our property. It is about 4 feet wide and about 6 inches deep. Will the dog love it or hate it. Until she is older we intend to fence it away from her amyways. NO ACCIDENTS PLEASE.

I think it depends on the dog. My two love water. Scout likes to walk and sit in the water, and Finch likes to drop her frisbee in it! My two would LOVE their own creek!

We have a man-made stream, waterfall and pond in our yard. Digger loves to take drinks from it. He will wade through the shallower areas, and chase birds from the banks. However, run a bath and he starts to freak. He is getting much better, but when he was young he would play in the rain, stream, etc. but absolutely hated baths.

Max loves water! When the kids are in the pool, Max will bark non-stop as loud as he can until someone puts him in. He will sit on a floating lounge chair and be quite happy. Sometimes he jumps in and swims for a while. I once took him to the beach and he had a great time running along the edge of the water. I think he was confused by the waves going in and out because he never ran far into the water.

Sugar loves the water. Rebel does not he will bark at it if it moves.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Kipper is a water dog 100%!!! In the summer he likes to go to the lakes and rivers and "retreive" he has my best friend's lab beat every time!! He is a good swimmer but he is also one of the few Cairns I know that can be trusted off leash.

Savannah likes the water as long as she can touch the bottom. she is not the kind to jump in and swim though. She does get on the top step of our pool on her own but she gets spooked if she can't touch.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

My last cairn Lucy was a real water baby but Gem doesn't seem too keen and will even walk around puddles when out on walks :)

It all depends on the dog really as they all have different personalities just like we do!

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Angel hates water Scotty loves it

actully if I leave the bathroom door open he always jumps in the bath tub

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Toby loves water, jumps into the tub with me every chance he gets. Traditon has it, we go to dog beach on New Years Day. We'll have to see how he does with the "big" water and waves, I'll have my camera handy !

Archived