CairnTalk

Another Heart Stopper....

Barney's Mom

Barney gave me a new clump of grey hairs yesterday...We were playing ball in our back yard, which is fenced on three sides. We have a very long driveway that runs along the side of the house and the garage and yard sit at the back of the property. You cannot see the street except for a small area along the fence. I threw the ball to Barney and he stopped in the middle of the yard and started barking with the ball in his mouth (the only humorous side to this story!), then looked up and took off like a lightening bolt across the yard and down the driveway. I screamed his name but he was in the "zone". As I got to the driveway, I look in horror as he bolts across the street and runs up to my neighbor and her dog who were walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Thank God there were no cars coming. Barney is not at all dog agressive, but her dog IS! And to make it worse, Barney ran up to her so fast that it startled this already agressive dog, and she went nuts. She growled and snarled and attacked Barney, biting him. My poor neighbor was trying to hold her dog so she wouldn't attack Barney, but she just could not hold her. I know Barney's intentions were just to "meet and greet" as always, but it didn't look that way to my neighbor. Fortunately, she is a very sweet person and was not angry. But I was so mad at Barney I could have killed him. Now I am so afraid to play with him in the yard in the event that he might take off again.

BUT..... my daughter came up with a great solution to this problem and so far it has worked very well. We saved a few of those clear plastic squeakers that Barney "extracted" out of various squeaky toys. I take the squeaker in my pocket outside, then if I see in his posture that he is about to take off, I squeak it. He is completely distracted from "take off" mode and comes running to me. I am trying to use it only in emergencies so it does not become old to him. As Cairn owners, I am sure you have a stock pile of left over squeakers, so I wanted to pass this along. Maybe it will save a life some day.

I think Barney's guardian angel will have to work overtime with him!!!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

OMG

I'm glad that he is Okay.

I don't know if there is anyway to fence that portion in, but Ex-pens can be used to fence off an area. Mine is 16ft long when stretched out, and 2 or more can be put together..

Tracy, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Barney, Barney, Barney....you're giving us ALL gray hair!!! But he's so darn lovable and I think he's one of our "special" dogs in this group given what he's been through. I'm so thankful to hear that it was a happy ending. These stories scare the you-know-what out of me.

maybe you should have like a 30' lead on him out there. He can still run around but you have a safety factor in there. You dont have to hold on to him, but there's a long lead to step on if you need to. That's what I do when i want to let the girls run a bit, we're off the road a quarter mile, but heck they'd be down that driveway in a flash if I'd let them.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Sheesh Barney...........you are going to kill your poor mother one of these days. I know the "dead squeaker"trick has worked well for Kipper too. We have a really nice fenced yard which is great but on occasion when having Kipper out in the front yard with me he too has taken off after the odd squirrel or cat and I had to use the squeaker to get him back. But it works like a charm best "recall" I have ever seen.

That is the thing about these dogs though, like my Kipper he is great off leash better than most Cairns I would suspect but even he can get into the "zone" and run off when that good ol' prey drive kicks in. :surrender: