CairnTalk

How Much Does Your Cairn Weigh?

wags

6 hours ago, Otis's Mom said:

The only dog treats he gets his walkies a calorie and a half for one...

What is the low calorie treat you use, that only has one and a half calories?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

They are called   Walkie fit bites, and they have 3 cal sorry about that,  they have really good ingredients in them. I bought them on Amazon. They are tiny but that’s all I need I give them to him when he is behaving on his walk.

Oh, gad! must now read the labels for calories for the pup!

Puppy training is positive (FOOD) reinforcement and  I predict we will be in training for a few more months!

Here is what I have in my treat drawer...

Blue, Blue bits, Soft Moist training treats, tender beef recipe: 3.5 kcals (large enough to break in half with your fingernail.)

Newman's Own: Snack Sticks, Chicken & Rice, 24 kcal per stick BUT it is in 7 sections (24/7.5) =3+ cal per section

Off Leash Mini Trainers, Smokey Beef, 4 kcal

Cesar Softies, Medley Trio, 7 cal per treat.

Good topic.We have treats in all our pockets including my robe in the morning...have to be ready!!!

What has 9 1/2 month old Katie learned? that all pockets have treats...and to keep a look out for any discarding or discarded clothing with pockets.  Word to the wise, check pockets BEFORE washing!!!

Katie's Mom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dougal was 12 weeks old today and he weighs  exactly 5 lbs, 0 ozs,  He gained a little over a half lb. since the 5th of March.  A little dink of a Cairn.  According to a puppy calculator for adult weigh projections for his breed, he is projected to be a whopping 10lbs. 11 ozs. at maturity.  However he has a much larger attitude.....lol.

Dougal9.JPG

• Like 4

Account Deleted

Oh my goidness he is adorable!! Love the name! Yeah don’t tell me about attitude I have the number one attitude boy right here laying next to me. He takes up the whole bed, and heaven forbid if I move, he gets very offended That I am waking him up when he’s taking his beauty sleep.  Wait it only gets worse/better 😂

7DA34E9A-363E-4291-ADE8-C17349EA8BA0.jpeg

Edited by Account Deleted
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Account Deleted

I have treats everywhere LOL and Poop bags in my coat pocket. Word to the wise he only comes when he want something!

I also fill  a small kong with plain nonfat yogurt instead of peanut butter, Just put a little finger tip of peanut butter on the top of that, and freeze the whole thing. The only time he gets that is when I go out and he’s in his crate. He never gets his Kong outside the crate.

Piper is such a food junkie that her 'treats' are nothing more than her kibble.  We do keep high value treats for special times BUT the kibble is all it takes for any training, recall, etc.  In fact, when we feed her (3X/day- 1/3 cup) we only give her 12-15 kibbles.  We feed her the rest, while doing tricks.  We call 'em Training Treats or and she does Tricks for Treats! She now can do a bunch of tricks!

steve

• 11 months later...

I know I'm late to this thread, but Sophie will be 3 y/o in May of 2019 and she weighs 20 lbs. 6 oz.  She has a small frame and should probably weigh no more than 16 lbs. We noticed that she is looking a bit round. We walk her every day and she never eats any human food. She has lots of energy and does not seem ill in any way. We are thinking about adding an additional walk every day to her regimen, taking her to the vet for an extra (out of cycle) checkup, and possibly changing her food. 

How much do you feed Sophie? 1/2 Cup twice a day? 1/3 Cup? 2/3 Cup? I'm sure the vet will advise you not to feed the recommended amounts on dog food packages, which are too much. Unfortunately, dog food marketed as "weight control" is usually packed with fillers of little or no nutritional value. It's often best to cut down on quantity, if possible.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

On 3/16/2018 at 11:46 PM, Dianne said:

We have treats in all our pockets including my robe in the morning...have to be ready!!!

What has 9 1/2 month old Katie learned? that all pockets have treats...and to keep a look out for any discarding or discarded clothing with pockets.  Word to the wise, check pockets BEFORE washing!!!

Katie's Mom

Too late!... I should have read this before casually tossing my shirt on the bed with some Charlee Bear treats in the pocket. See photo. Mom was right again... put away your clothes!

Ruffy had never done damage of any sort until I foolishly left temptation out in plain sight. I keep the shirt, (and wear it) as a reminder of lesson learned - the hard way.

IMG_1402.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

DH and I are currently finishing breakfast - and I had to show him your photo! Such a reminder...

When our cairn Allie was young, she chewed the pocket off one of Steve's pocket tees (where he kept training treats for walks) WHILE HE WAS WEARING IT. Yup, he laid down on the floor for a quick nap. Being a sound sleeper, he didn't even wake up as Allie crawled onto his chest and chewed right through the pocket.

Being something of a lifelong insomniac, I have always  been a little jealous of his ability to fall and stay asleep like that...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sanford said:

How much do you feed Sophie? 1/2 Cup twice a day? 1/3 Cup? 2/3 Cup? I'm sure the vet will advise you not to feed the recommended amounts on dog food packages, which are too much. Unfortunately, dog food marketed as "weight control" is usually packed with fillers of little or no nutritional value. It's often best to cut down on quantity, if possible.

Thanks for the response. We give her 1.5 cups per day, but she often doesn't eat all of it. We just put food down for her and check it once a day to bring it back up to 1.5 cups. 

Just a data point. We feed our two 1/4 C each in the AM and again in the PM. Dundee (15 lbs at 9 y/o) is getting pudgy so we'll be dialing his back to a scant 1/4 C. Stella (12 lbs at 14 y/o) already gets a scant 1/4 C.  So just about a cup a day covers *both* dogs.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Pepper (age 7) and Brodie (age 1 1/2) both get 1/4 cup of food twice a day and extra kibble as a treat when taking off collars after a walk.  They both weigh 16.5 lb and need to get down to 16 lb if they can manage that.

Pepper's Mom

Our boy Reilly is the biggest of our three males.  One male weighed 18lbs, and Reilly is a lean 21.4 lbs.  He is incredibly long and tall, the biggest one we have ever had. I need to get a pic of him stretched out. 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the vet and my girl Maisie ways 21 lbs and I feed her a heaping 1/4 cup in am and pm but I have to dial it back a bit.  It's crazy, been walking 3-4 times a day, but I have also been giving her extra treats while trying to train her to walking in the city.

• 2 years later...

we just came back from vet, otis weighs 19.7 up 1/2 from the previous 3 yrs..the vet said he looks great but does not want him any higher..we walk 3 miles a day, of course not this winter and he gets 3/4 cup dog food total twice a day, he gets green beans and blueberries.. he is long and I can feel his ribs..I don’t know what else to do..0519BDD5-0C38-4D68-B0D8-FE430414E313.thumb.jpeg.dd304b4e2c70b70306c2ce9406b57e92.jpeg

Edited by Otis’s Mom

Lordy don't let Elroy and Dundee see this. They only get 1/4 C twice a day. I suspect you could knock down the amount to 1/2 C  for a couple weeks and see how he does.

Remind him that starvation is a gradual process and he won't keel over all at once (no matter what he tells you) — you can always adjust back up if he starts looking like a greyhound.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

lol It’s the eyes that gets to me all the time. So he gets a total of 3/4 of a cup a day.. my breeder told me to give him  a cup a day..after a year.. but I cut down..He’s also on Hill ID because of stomach issues it’s very low in fat.. I will give him probably a half a cup total a day with some green beans to see how he does. We are very active in the summer time so I know he’s gonna need some calories for all the walking that we do.. This is the first year he’s ever gained weight so I am kind of wondering why? Anyways I’ll cut down on his dog food and add more of the green beans😃ty!

Edited by Otis’s Mom

Our guys get 1/3 cup twice a day but -- a few added treats from our plates once in a while. I put on a little weight each winter, and the dogs seem to as well. We seem to wear it off once the snow melts and we all get outside more. It's been a pattern for several years now -- and I am hoping this spring it will continue.

Our adults get 1/3 cup of kibble a day, along with a couple of tablespoons of “kibble helper” that I make with brown rice, carrots and chicken in the instant pot. Plus tiny treats for training. The puppy will get three meals a day until she’s about a year old because she’s still growing and can use more calories than will fit into two meals. Weight will vary with the overall size, so we just try to keep them in good form and not overweight. 

Otis had antibodies of Lyme disease last year in his blood and he’s always been on a flea and tick preventative all year round. Just got his blood work back..she cannot believe that the antibodies are gone after one year. His teeth are near perfect; I do brush them every day, little plague on back tooth both sides..she said his weight you can feel his ribs along the side but she doesn’t want him getting any heavier. She also said that it could because I fed him before he went or the scale. We walked 3 to 4 miles a day weather permitting, he is under his caloric intake, He is on hills ID which is very low in fat and a prescription dog food. In the morning he gets a little over a quarter of a cup with blueberries. The afternoon he gets about a quarter of a cup with green beans. He gets 3, 3 cal treats.. and he gets veggie dental treats twice a week that she wanted me to start ( this week)  just to help take a bit of plaque on his back teeth that the toothbrush doesn’t always get…he got an excellent bill of health from the vets and that’s all I care about she said  he’s very long and solid.😃

Edited by Otis’s Mom
  • Like 1