CairnTalk

How Much Does Your Cairn Weigh?

wags

Sally,

Our Cody was the runt of the litter so he is a little lighter and smaller than the breed standard, he weighs in at around 13 pounds. He turned 1 year old on January 1st.

I understand the average weight to range between 12 and 15 pounds.

Our cairn, Piper, is 9 months old (today!) and weighs 17 pounds. She's all muscle, walks three miles a day with me. Our former Cairn, Lucy, weighed between 17-18 pounds most of her adult life until developing Cushing's at age 11. Then she put on a few pounds, and weighed about 20 pounds.

Edited by Mama Kim

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hi! My Riley weighs in at about 12 pounds - - he has been sick most of his puppy life but still manages to thrive. I am surprised that he actually weighs that much - - he still looks like a little pup!!!!

Maxwell now officially 1 1/2 yrs weighs in at 18lbs!! He to is solid muscle and quite the little "chunk butt" as I call him. I know I have read they are usually between 12-15lbs but for some reason this little guy is a hearty one!! :thumbsup:

Melanie

Maxwell

Everyone told me Wes would grow into a much bigger dog. I think I was expecting to have a "little Chunk Butt" too.

When we found Wes at the breeder's we saw his parents. One was chunky but the other was small just like him. I guess he takes after his mommy!

Maisy is only 13 weeks old. She is growing FAST. We have had her 8 weeks now. At her first vet appointment she weighed just over 3 lbs. She may be close to five pounds at this point.

Nicky was 7 weeks old when we brought him home. Weight was 4.7 lbs, now is about 21 lbs. He is chunky and his a lot of muscle in his body. "Runs like the wind" outside, whenever we say "Nicky do you want to go run like the wind?" He gets real excited-think he knows what it means and loves to run.

Posey :D

Our Rebel is 21 lbs also. He loves to run the agility course we have set up in the back yard. He also loves the soft frisbee. You can still see his waist and feel his ribs. He is 16 months old now. His sire was 22 lbs and was a champion. He was beautiful, friendly and so very gentle. They are very special dogs.

• Like 2

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

• 1 month later...
Guest Bettie

My cairn terrier, Duncan, is 6 month old and weighs 20 lbs. I'm somewhat worried about it. The vet says he's not fat. He gets a lot of walking in the mountains and has a very healthy appetite. He's a sweetheart. I'm just worried he's going to weigh 30 lbs. when he's grown! I've been reading that the breed standard is 15 lbs. as an adult. His mom and dad each weigh 16 lbs.

I was all ready to say that Madison, 7 months, weighs about 9 lbs. But then I decided to prop her on the scale and see. More like 14 lbs!! And Winnie, 10 years, is quite chubby at 21 lbs. I am determined to not let Madison get overweight...absolutely no people food except carrots.

Dudley is just short of a year, and currently weighs 15 lbs. We don't believe he'll grow any bigger overall. It seems as if this is standard, I know the breed standard is 13-17, so he's average in weight I guess? :D

• Like 1

My boys are 19 (9 yrs) pounds and 21 (8 years) pounds. One could be a couple of pounds lighter but the other boy has been the same weight for 6 of his 8 years. When the vet says they could stand to lose a couple of pounds my husband mutters into his beard that the vet could stand to lose a couple of pounds too.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

My cairn is a neutred two year male who is a bundle of solid muscle, high energy, self-motivated and very determined. Our vet said that a neutred male usually weighs about 18-20 pounds, which he does. Don't worry he'll start putting on a few more pounds when he eats more. Just keep lots of treats around and if that doesn't work, I'd go see your vet.

Edited by Rob D.

Hi everybody. Well the breed standard in Europe says the ideal weight for Cairns is 14lbs. My female had this weight till she got spayed when she was almost 3 years old. Then she gained weight rapidly. Although she had 2-3 hrs. daily exercice (walks), on weekends even more plus playing time with our Westie. She is now almost 10 yrs. old and has 18 lbs. She once had even 24 lbs. when we lived in Germany where a lot of dog owners we met in parks were giving her treats all the time so did our collegues in our office. She has always been a very hungry dog and food is the most important thing to her. She would eat anything you offer her and unfortunately she would eat anything she finds on the streets. This is our big problem, and is her only bad behavior. ..

Jutta with Jessie and Gringo

• 13 years later...
Account Deleted

Otis just came back from the vet he is 14 months old and weighs 19 pounds. We walked 3 1/2 miles a day, Sometimes a little less depending on the weather. I think he’s very healthy and so does the vet. He does not look overweight at all so I’m not gonna worry about it although I do give him popcorn once in a while and that’s going to stop; other than that he eats vegetables/fruit between meals.

The only dog treats he gets his walkies a calorie and a half for one, gets that when he goes on his walks with me. I believe each dog is built differently and depending on the ancestery.I believe each dog is built differently and depending on the ancestery. I’m not worried about his weight but I don’t want to get any heavier.

Sam weighs in at a lean 20 pounds. 👍

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Piper is 2.5 y/o and weighs 21lbs.  It's solid and she's just a big girl. She gets tons of play and exercise. Her parents were big 16-18lbs but she was definitely the queen of the litter! She loves to run. we spend alot of time at the beach and she loves chasing birds.

steve

Account Deleted

Thank you so much for your reply. My breeder said I should cut his food and add more veggies.I am not doing that. He only gets a half a cup times x2aday.  (Wellness core ) He gets carrots the little petite ones, and BlackBerries which r his fav. He’s not overweight by any means. And the vet did not think he was either.

I knew this was the correct place to come for the right answer.  Thank you all for your replies. 

1FABAE57-F208-489B-9CE0-3360E87C0760.jpeg

• Like 4