CairnTalk

stripping

Barbee

I don,t know what you mean by stripping. Is there a book on how to take care of Cairns? I have looked at the pet stores and book stores and can't find one. There are plenty on Westies. Would that be about the same as Cairns?

Barbee, A few weeks ago I read a post on this forum regarding stripping & grooming. Someone posted a link to a book and I ordered it and already received it. I think it is pretty helpful. Here's the link if you are interested. It is only $8 and I received it in less than a week from ordering.

http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1333

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone -

I love the appearence of stripped pups but am intimidated to do it. I need to get over this, and give it a try. It would be much easier if someone showed me, but I can't find anyone in our area. Is there a point to just forget about it, if it's never been done? One pup is 2 and the other 4. Some say it hurts, and others say that's not true. What do you think?

Everyone -

I love the appearence of stripped pups but am intimidated to do it. I need to get over this, and give it a try. It would be much easier if someone showed me, but I can't find anyone in our area. Is there a point to just forget about it, if it's never been done? One pup is 2 and the other 4. Some say it hurts, and others say that's not true. What do you think?

Where abouts in Ohio are you? I'm in the South-Western corner.

I have a really great person who I take hand-stirpping lessons from who is in Franklin Ohio which is South of Dayton.

PM me if your interested in more info.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hi Barbee! Col. Potter Cairn rescue network has some information on their site about stripping as well as a pattern it is very easy to read and there are diagrams. Traditionaly you can do more sissoring on a Westie than a Cairn and they tend to have more coat but they are very similar.

Hi, Barbee!

The next time one of your pups is laying out in the grass, just sit down beside him/her and look for hairs that seem to curl up and out of his coat, rather than lay flat. Grab those hairs between your thumb and index finger and give a quick jerk to get them out. You will find they come out very easily. I was not big on stripping until I just started trying it with Barney. He looks SO much better (check out the thread called The New Barney to see what I mean. The only place Barney won't allow me to strip his fur is his stomach. That seems to really bother him. Anywhere else and he's fine. To give you an example that it doesn't really hurt them, I did his whole head while he was sleeping on my lap! If it hurt, I think he would definitely wake up!

I ordered the booklet on Cairn grooming from the CTCA and it is very informative. I would recommend it to you if you are interested in stripping. It shows how a Cairn should be stripped for the show ring, i.e. shaping and where/where not to pluck the hairs.

I think it is important to keep the integrity of the fur on a Cairn. The waterproof element of their fur is lost if it is clippered. We spend a lot of time outdoors with Barney, so I want him to have that natural protection with his fur. That is why I decided to strip him, along with the fact that he was starting to look pretty sloppy! Now I think he looks so handsome!! :wub:

Good luck! :)

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Archived