CairnTalk

The New Barney!

Barney's Mom

I am so proud of myself!!! Barney was sleeping on my lap and I started to strip all the yucky hair off the top of his head, which was driving me crazy because it looked so bad. He slept through most of it, then I went on to the front of his head and face when he woke up. With treats in hand he sat still and I finished the job!! I think he looks SOOOOO much better!

Now all you experts out there, let me know how I did! Here is a before and after photo:

Barney before....very bad hair days!

00000004_18.jpg

Barney after....he DOES have eyes!!

00000018_9.jpg

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Barney looks great before AND afterwards! How long did it take to strip Barney? I started stripping Scout a few days ago and I am only about 1/2 done!

Wow, I'm not expert, but I'd say he looks good. I think we have a stripping revolution beginning!

YES! :thumbsup:

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I can't believe the difference in his appearance. What a great job you did. I think the face is the hardest area to do. I use a Mars Coat King and thinning shears on Molly's face, but it doesn't give the same effect that you did by hand stripping. Congrats!! :D

Wow Barney is such the little stud muffin.... I know both my girls would go crazy for him! HA! He looks fantastic - I suppose in the near year I'll be working on my stripping skills :)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

AWESOME job! Savannah's also needs to be done. Please pencil us in on your appointment book. :D

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know how to hand strip too. I got a Dr. Scholl's pumice stone with handle and I have been able to pull off some dead hair on Jeter's body but how in the world do you do their faces? How hard do you guys pull or should the hair that is suppose to come out come out easy?

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

I make Barney sit while I have a treat in my hand. He already does this for just brushing. The dead hair comes out very easily. Instead of a long yanking motion, I do a quick tug with just a small amount of hair between my fingers. He seems much less annoyed when I do it this way. If I get too much hair in a tug, I think it hurts him. And there is a point when he definitely has had enough and I need to continue at a later time. He does NOT like me to pull the hairs on his belly. He swung around and gently grabbed my hand in his mouth the other day and gave a short growl. That was my clue that this area was off limits for stripping.

It also helps if they are distracted with something, like a chew bone or a toy. I get a good amount done when Barney has a bully stick to gnaw on. He also is laying still while he is doing that, which helps a lot.

Good luck!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Archived