CairnTalk

What's up with the cow imitation?

Barney's Mom

OK, does anyone else have a Cairn that eats grass??? Barney has taken to eating it when we go out for potty! What does this mean??? More roughage in his diet?

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

There are lots of different ideas about what grass eating actually means, some of the more popular ideas are because they are sick to their tummy, or because they like it or because they need vegitation ect. :huh: Who knows exactally why they do it. It may be worth seeing what your vet has to say about it if Barney is eating it like ALL the time or something. I really want to know why mine likes to eat poopy :sick: !!!

Sophie tends to eat it when her stomach is upset. I don't know if it makes them feel better or it induces vomiting so they bring up whatever is upsetting their belly. But that seems to be the only time she eats it.

Hope this helps.

Sophie's Mom

As kcsdogs mentioned, it's believed that when dogs eat grass their stomach's are a little off. I've always found this to be the case in any dog I've had. In fact, Petsmart actually sells small plastic pots of grass for such use. Scully has always done this whenever her stomach wasn't right and in fact, will beg to go outside so she can eat some of it.

I suspect there is more than one reason. Almost ALL of our dogs cheerfully and eagerly eat grass (more or less as a herd) in the spring, when it is new and tender. It does lead to vomiting sometimes, but I'm not sure that's WHY they're eating it in the spring. At other times, though, I agree they seem to be doing it to induce.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Scout and Finch eat grass when their tummy doesn't feel well, but Scout eats grass, in the same spot on our lawn, all the time. She doesn't get sick after eating and it's always in the same spot. I have no idea why she does this!

Lucy did it when she had a bad tum. she would get me up during the night sometimes and go to the door. I would let her out thinking she needed to relieve herself and she would gobble grass like it was going out of fashion.

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Archived