CairnTalk

what color?

Barbee

I'm new at this but I have a question. I purchased a Cairn from the internet. His picture looked like he was wheaten, but when we went to get him he had been clipped and he looked red.

that was several months ago. I still haven't regestered him because his back is red and his face is wheaten. how long does it take for the top coat to grow back ? and do you think it will be wheaten. He looks a lot like the dog that Janet has on the forum. The seller didn't fill out the papers and Im not sure what to put. The Vet papers said Wheaten but he didn't see him after he was clipped.

Edited by Barbee

lol cairns coat changes all the time...my first cairn started out as a wheaten then she turned red then she got dark...her coat will continue to change it hard to say what color they will end up being

heres some of the colors of cairns

http://www.lachleen.dk/uk/Farver.htm

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

At 18 months, Renny's coat has gone through a number of color changes.

When I got him, he was about the size and color of a brick with feet ( reddish brown ). Then he went through a blonde phase through the Summer, and now is getting more reddish. He also shows signs from time to time of a little silver, especially around his face.

I'm not sure at what age they reach a final color. Most estimates seem to vary between 1 to 2 years. I mentioned awhile back that if someone asks me what color my dog is, I check before answering, since it is still evolving.

Hagar.

But what color did you use to register your dog?

lol cairns coat changes all the time...my first cairn started out as a wheaten then she turned red then she got dark...her coat will continue to change it hard to say what color they will end up being

heres some of the colors of cairns

http://www.lachleen.dk/uk/Farver.htm

So did you register you puppy as wheaten?

Wheaten or Red brindle? There is not a lot in it to be honest. there are so many different combinations.

I think you must be talking about my lucy I have posted her pic on some other threads. Sadly she is not with us anymore as she died in august and we now have a grey brindle called Gem.

Lucy was a red brindle on her papers but become very light in old age. Reds usualy have a red stripe on their backs. Lucy's stripe used to stand out when clipped. If you part your dogs hair you will see thhe colour of the undercoat which is soft and downey. The last year of Lucy's life the red stripe turned grey at the roots.

They change all the time with age.

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

I registered both my dogs as 'brindle'- They are both a Creme, Wheaten, Black, Red combo which i'msure they'll end up Black at 7 or 8...

Tracy, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

:confused:Renny is registered as "brindle", apparently based on his color as a puppy. My guess is if they aren't sure, they call it brindle and send in the paperwork.

Hagar.

Currey's registered as "brindle with points". He was very dark - our breeder considered him "pre-black". The first time a person walked up to me and said, "Oh I love wheaten cairns, how beautiful", I was confused - I hadn't realized how light he had gone! I'd still call him brindle, though, since he is loaded with black and red mixed in...although his points had mostly faded. Below are two pictures - one from last january at about 8 - 10 weeks and one from this month, at 1 year.

post-1398-1166742973_thumb.jpg

The little Guster was near coal black at eight weeks. Lately my wife is convinced he's sneaking into the bathroom, breaking into the hydrogen peroxide and frosting his coat when we aren't looking. He has definitely got a coat of many colors. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Can't say we care much, he'll be the same dog whatever his color and that's just fine by us cause we're just crazy about him.

Have you hugged your Cairn today?