CairnTalk

Cairn Videos

Jarret926

Eh, I think it's a reasonable representation, particularly given a kennel situation. More ruckus than some; less than others.

To me it looks mostly like one particular young dog was taking exception to the photographer. Seems fairly typical to me. For sure, you don't want to visit my house. I can probably keep one or two quiet, but if all four are loose when you arrive - all I can tell you is wait five minutes and it will be calm again after the greetings are over.

Interviews are almost always a compromise as there is no way in a snippet to really go into the layers and dimensions (not to mention the exceptions and qualifiers) that typically apply. Producers usually want really short, self-contained snapshots and not the sort of hand-waving and if-but-then-sometimes-often-maybe-sorta that somebody like me would give 'em. Never mind my mumbly and rambling speaking style. Better they should talk to Angie :-)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

And I understand all of that as well as the editing that probably took place in the video. However, this video has been seen by over 170,000 viewers many of whom are, no doubt, searching for information on Cairn Terriers and I believe that circumstances or not, this gives a completely unrealistic view of the breed. If you listen to the background noise in the video it is incredible that the breeder did not note and explain the noise to the interviewer. I have had as many as three Cairns in my home and after the initial and very short ruckus attending a visitor, the noise ceases either on command or because the dogs understand that barking is a no-no. But, we have been here before on this video, I overreact to it, it is like pepper to my Cairn loving soul and causes me to involuntarily sneeze every time I get near it. Sorry Brad, I know you know the breeder and respect her--next time I will turn my head and politely throw up in complete silence.

Silence defeats the point of Cairn Talk confused.gif

Hopefully we're not here to merely agree with each other all the time, but to share our experiences with the Best Little Pal. Opinions, like experiences, are bound to differ. Cheers!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I know how Idaho feel about this video. In some ways I will agree. But when I was thinking about getting a Cairn I was so grateful for this video. I was not turned off the breed by the barking at all. I wanted to hear a Cairn bark and see if it was a high pitch that I would not be able to bare, I understood why they were barking so much. Some people may not understand though and it might would turn them away from the breed. I will have to say it drew me to them even more. I agree with Brad that we are not on this forum to agree all the time, that is what makes it great and why I am on here every day. To learn from each of you. Thank you everyone for your opinions and knowledge of this wonderful breed.

This video, as I have mentioned before, so misrepresents the Cairn breed that I wish someone would have it taken off YouTube. No one unfamiliar with the breed could look and listen to this bunch of yappy dogs, listen to that Locust Valley Lockjaw description of Cairns and come away with an accurate or positive idea of what Cairns are really like. In their absolute WORST moments my dogs wouldn't make half the noise these obnoxious animals make. All I can think of when I see this awful video is "Boy I would hate to be her neighbor!"

LOL sorry to strike a nerve Idaho. I didn't find the barking annoying, it was just that one pup telling that camera man where he can stick his intruding camera haha, loved that, even told hubby how cute he was doing it. My Jeff would do the exact same barking, from the same distance if he was unsure of something or someone. UNTIL mommy moves closer to the object, then he gets all brave & Cairn like again!!

I would like to say that I AM ALLERGIC to Jeff .. never had allergy problems until I got him. It started with a stuffy nose, leading to a complete blockage of air. I finally went to an ENT and had allergy testing to confirm I was allergic to dogs. Not sure if their no/low allergy claim is accurate, but I do leave room for the theory of "his dog ways bring more pollen into my home, kick up more dust & mold spores in the home"... lol I have a hard time blaming my lil Jeff directly for my allergies.

I became a dog person AFTER I got my dog.

Bestfriends2-1-1.jpg

Wow, that Jeff has some tricks! What a pretty and lively little Cairn. Just love the videos. Don't know what to say about the grooming thing except Cairns ain't schnauzers and there goes the outer coat! Wow, that's a pretty Cairn too but I suspect a lot of Cairns get this treatment at the groomers.

Now that was hilarious and sad all at the same time.... I am still shaking my head

I saw this online several months ago when I was researching. You should read some of the outrage from Cairn owners on the comments for these videos!

Jeff is wonderful with all of his tricks!! I need to work harder with Ripley. You have motivated me!

• 2 weeks later...

This video, as I have mentioned before, so misrepresents the Cairn breed that I wish someone would have it taken off YouTube. No one unfamiliar with the breed could look and listen to this bunch of yappy dogs, listen to that Locust Valley Lockjaw description of Cairns and come away with an accurate or positive idea of what Cairns are really like. In their absolute WORST moments my dogs wouldn't make half the noise these obnoxious animals make. All I can think of when I see this awful video is "Boy I would hate to be her neighbor!"

Eh, I think it's a reasonable representation, particularly given a kennel situation. More ruckus than some; less than others. To me it looks mostly like one particular young dog was taking exception to the photographer. Seems fairly typical to me. For sure, you don't want to visit my house. I can probably keep one or two quiet, but if all four are loose when you arrive - all I can tell you is wait five minutes and it will be calm again after the greetings are over. Interviews are almost always a compromise as there is no way in a snippet to really go into the layers and dimensions (not to mention the exceptions and qualifiers) that typically apply. Producers usually want really short, self-contained snapshots and not the sort of hand-waving and if-but-then-sometimes-often-maybe-sorta that somebody like me would give 'em. Never mind my mumbly and rambling speaking style. Better they should talk to Angie :-)

:) Maybe we should all compile our own footage, discussions on our dogs and make an official Cairn youtube account to show the range of temperaments.

I'll agree to an uneducated animal person, that one puppy might make the breed seem yappy, but I would hope people looking for a terrier (notorious for needing experienced owners) would be experienced with animals enough to tell it was the one puppy being the boss of the cameraman. :)

• 2 months later...
:) Maybe we should all compile our own footage, discussions on our dogs and make an official Cairn youtube account to show the range of temperaments.

I think it`s great idea, I would be great if Cairn`s movies from around the world have account on YouTube!

I have actually tried to do that with the several videos I have posted to Utube. I have some forty or so up now and part of the intent is to show the different aspects of how playful and fun these dogs are, how good they are with children, how they interact with each other, how "rugged" the Cairn really is as a small dog. I would like, when my skills get better at editing these videos, to put together a piece that would be both representative of Cairns in general and be useful for prospective owners in choosing the breed. I'm working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

That is adorable! What a smart pup.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

I don'y know how I missed such a cute video. I love it.

Kelly would not tear into her presents like I thought she would. She loves to tear up paper and we don't stop her from it. I took video and plan on posting it when I get a chance.

Idaho Cairns

I also made a video of our dogs Christmas morning, playing with their new toys. However, as you can see our "wrapping" consists of a plastic bag for them to dig out their "gifts". I don't believe our kids ever got as excited over toys as these dogs obviously do. Makes us enjoy the Holiday even more. Like old times when you have Cairns that act like kids.

• Like 2

Now is Bonnie the bigger girl? It's so funny how your girls operate on such different speeds!! The little one is so chatty and a toy hog! :P

Big one: "Please throw mine! You can take it, sure."

Little one: "Pffft. Don't touch my stuff."

Idaho Cairns

Sammi is the larger dog and you are right--Bonnie is quite snarly when it comes to toys--particularly her toys. Sam just likes to "make music" with her squeaky toys. Give Bonnie a ball and she will drive you crazy--she is demanding.

Our male Henry could stay outside for hrs fetching the balls..his favorite pass time. I always make sure I have my hat/gloves on when we head out cause it could be awhile before I presuade him to come inside.

This was a very valuable video for me. Now I know how to stop all the nonsense I go thru trying to trim up my dogs' hindquarters--I no longer have to put up with them sitting or laying down on me--just get them in an arm lock and twist that tail around. I admire how this groomer handled the dog--lots of verbal commands and direct eye contact. Great stuff, thanks for putting it up.