CairnTalk

Questions about dental bite.

montdoug

My little Guster is from good lines, in fact 11 of 14 family on his papers are champions (not that that means much to me, he's a pet in our world). I absolutely love his personality, he's got a great coat, good tail set, and I've been told he's got a great head and good movement.

The one thing that is changing rapidly and I don't care for is he's developing a significant reverse scissor bite or "under bite". I must admit it's cute in fact he's starting to look a bit like "Wolfman".

He had just a bit of it at 8 weeks when we got him but it's growing a lot, he's almost 5 months old now. I was told by several folks including the breeder when we picked him up that it can also reverse itself and improve before he fully develops. Has anyone else heard that?

I have problems with the concept of his bite reversing direction but thought I'd ask here. What do ya think?

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

i dont have any advise (sorry)..but just wanted to mention that our Fenway has an under bite too..it is rather cute when her bottom teeth stick out some when shes just sittin there but...id be nice if it corrects itself.

Jon & Kara. Proud parents of Fenway!

My sense from listening to others is that a slightly overshot mouth may correct itself into a scissors bite as the lower jaw grows out, whereas an undershot mouth will tend to worsen with any growth of the lower jaw. I can't think of anyone who's told me they saw an underbite reverse - somebody with experience feel free to chime in!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'll be amazed if your not right Brad, that's exactly what I thought.

When I raised Airedales I was fortunate to have excellent bite's on all but a couple pups, it was a strong suit in the lines I had. With this little guy I have to admit it has suprised me to watch it extend especially in light of the breeding and looking at his sire and dam. Perhaps because my prior dogs had such a good bite this bothers me more than other flaws might but Gus is such a great dog I'm sure as soon as quit thinking about it it won't matter. We purchased him intact and my thoughts were to look at the obedience or agility classes and possibly breed him at some point, this would in my opinion preclude the breeding aspect.

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Archived