CairnTalk

American Pumpkin Club Breed Standard

bradl

American Pumpkin Club

Breed Standard for the Smooth-Coated Field Pumpkin (SCFP)

General Appearance- Round and orange. The history of the smooth-coated field pumpkin (herein: "pumpkins") goes back to ancient times. Pumpkins appeared in the drawings of the ancient Egyptians, often next to canines that have been described variously as obvious ancestors of either the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Basenjis, or the Pharaoh Hound. The pumpkins claim to ancient origin is also upheld by its mention in great classics of literature such as The Legend of Sleepy Hollow; Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater; and Cinderella. As befitting such an ancient and storied gourd, the pumpkin should present an impression of size, shell strength and graceful symmetry to the observer.

Size, Proportion, Substance- The bigger the better sums up the question of size nicely. No specific size requirements are promulgated at this time, but the height at the stem should be comparable to width at the equatorial or "great circle" girth. Pumpkins are not a wicketed breed. Proportion is most important as the stately gourd should sit firm and stable while presenting an easily carveable face. Pumpkins are filled with a rather stringy, orange substance. This should be hand-stripped out before showing. Top portion should also be humanely excised forming a removable lid to permit what owner-handlers refer to as "candling."

Head - Pumpkin expression is left open to the aesthetic vision of the groomer. Plain triangle eyes and noses, throwbacks to the fifties and earlier, to be severely penalized.

Neck, Topline, Fore and Hindquarters - Pumpkins possessing any of these features must be disqualified. Judges will call for a gourdologist at their discretion.

Color - A shiny, deep orange or deep wheaten color is most desired. Pale, washed out color to be severely penalized.

Gait - a pumpkin of proper balance and proportion will roll with smoothness and grace. Out of round movement to be penalized to the extent it interferes with being stolen by vagrant teens, rolled down the driveway, and smashed to smithereens on the road.

Temperament -The pumpkin is a stoic and stationary fruit, not given to fits of needless exercise.

by: anonymous

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 2 months later...

Brad-- Have you any idea about when the SCFP, since it has been granted admission to the American Pumpkin Club, will be admitted to the American Cucurbit Club? I could not possibly be the only person who needs to know this vital information.

Jill

P.S. Are there any restrictions on artificial fertilizing products? Pesticides? Are they penalized if the resident Cairn terrier takes a healthy bite of one-- or would that be considered an "orange badge of courage"? :shy:

• 2 years later...

Oh boy Brad.... I'm reading along thinking I'm like reading real standards... until I get to the part about being penalized for types of eye and nose styles... this is good :) Kind of fits w/the group here since we're always measuring our own little Cairns to make sure they meet proper specifications :) hee hee... ;)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Very! Obedience is a mixed bag, though: their "Stay!" is rock solid, but their Recall is terrible. When heeling they tend to forge ahead on steep downhill sections, and lag or even go backwards uphill.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 11 months later...

I'm beginning to see more of these SCFPs in my neighborhood. My Cairn has shown an interest in them but they never reciprocate. Should I be wary of them?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...